Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adq Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2006, 06:05 AM
    Connect via remote desktop two computers on lan
    I was wondering if someone could provide me with step-by-step instructions on setting up Remote Desktop on two networked computers (not using internet) in an office. Both machines have windows xp pro. I want to be able to work on the other office computer without having to keep walking over to the other machine.

Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Check out the articles here:

http://search.microsoft.com/results....remote+desktop

I've also used Dameware for this.
    jc105 Posts: 162, Reputation: 17

Jun 29, 2006, 01:20 PM
    Assuming they are XP pro...

Right click 'My Computer' choose properties, choose the remote tab in the window that opens. Make sure the second check box, "Allow users to remotely control", or something to that effect.

That should be done on the machine you want to connect to(Server). On the client computer, click Start -> Run -> type 'mstsc' (No quotes) then hit enter. Find the IP of the server computer, assume you know enough to get that info. Enter that into the window the appeared. Press enter.

YOU NEED A USERNAME THAT HAS A PASSWORD TO REMOTELY CONTROL A PC.

Otherwise screw all this and install realvnc (google search) on both pc's and the setup is simple for vnc, and well documented.
    helper_robot Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Another way to go about this that's much easier is to just use LogMeIn. Its free and you can get it from www.logmein.com. You basically just connect your two computers through the web, and you can see the desktops of both the computers on each other and move files back and forth. I use it all the time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by helper_robot
    Another way to go about this that's much easier is to just use LogMeIn. its free and you can get it from www.logmein.com. You basically just connect your two computers through the web, and you can see the desktops of both the computers on each other and move files back and forth. I use it all the time.
    I'm a logmein user and I highly recommend it, but maybe you missed that the OP specified NOT using the Internet. Otherwise I would have recommended that as a possibility.
    Maxine321 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 01:43 PM
    You do not have internet so you can make use of the tools given in XP.

Firstly, Computer 2 must have remote login enabled. As mentioned earlier by JC105... Right click 'My Computer' choose properties, choose the 'remote' tab in the window that opens. Make sure the second check box, "Remote Desktop" is checked/enabled.

If you would like to connect remotely from either computer I suggest you do the same on Computer 1.

Next step is to click 'Start' then to to 'Programs' then Accessories then 'Communications' then click 'Remote Desktop Connection'

A remote desktop connection window appears, click on 'options' enter the relevant details for the Computer that you are connecting to.

Hope this helps..
    helper_robot Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm a logmein user and I highly recommend it, but maybe you missed that the OP specified NOT using the Internet. Otherwise I would have recomended that as a possibility.
    Oy. I totally have not had enough caffeine today. Sorry abuot that :p
    jthom263 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 06:36 PM
    There is a really good one I use on my network called remote desktop control 2.5 I'm pretty sure this is the website you can get it from www.remote-desktop-control.com... If not just Google it... One downside though is its pretty pricey
    nabeelkazi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
    Actuallly I have used d remote desktop connection thro' remote desktop via communication but when I login on other PC on my PC that PC logs off. I want to login on other PC at d same time that user should not log off when I acces that PC.. Please help me to findd way to do it..
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2010, 01:15 PM
    Don't forget to make sure that you have opened the appropriate ports in windows firewall. Also, you probably want to make each have a static IP outside of the DHCP range.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How Can I connect my PC? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I connect PC with following sceniro. I have 3 pcs with Win XP pro.1 PC is connected with ADSL internet connection (256kbps)Its a small USB modem. I have router with 6ports from which I have connected my other 2pc as shared ADSL speed internet.This all setup in Office. Now I want to...

How to connect two computers? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everybody.. I'm new to computers.. n I've got two computers at home with windows xp running on them. I would like to know how to connect them to each other. I've got no NIC card and no cross over cable. Let me know the things I need them to connect. And secondly if I would like to connect them...

I need to connect my 2 home computers [ 23 Answers ]

On one internet connection. I am afraid to go wireless, because one computer is on the second floor of the house and the other in the basement game room. I want to know if a router (and the most cost effective one to get) would work with our computers. The basement computer has Windows 98 and...

Connect 2 computers to burn a dvd... [ 2 Answers ]

I am attempting to connect 2 computers to burn a dvd. I think(? ) w/ a crossover cable I can figure out how to make the connection. Why am I doing this you ask... PC1 (running Me) has the dvd burner & software but is FAT32. Figured this out when the downloading 6.1GB .img got error message at...

How to connect two computers together by a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am new in Communication and networking so please your answer must be in details... My computer in the living room with windows XP home edition.. the other computer with windows 2000 with servie pack 4 in my kids bed room.. my wirelss router is linksys connected to my computers and...

View more questions Search