Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colleenblean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Potty Training my 5 month old Shihtzu
    We have had our Shihtuzu almost 3 months. He will be 5 months old next week and still having accidents. We have been using a crate effectively at night and most of the time during the day. Unfortunately, even though we take him out every 1-2 hours when out of the crate he's still having accidents on the floors inside. We have been training him to use potty pads in our garage. We made it 3 days accident free and then had an accident last night and again this morning. We have attached potty bells to the door that he is to go out of, but he doesn't seem to get the connection with those. I'm sure that we're doing something wrong. We are new pet owners and getting frustrated - Please help!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 28, 2008, 01:20 AM

Do you ring the bell with his paw every time he needs to go out, and also ring the bell and call him to come? Most important is how often do you take him walks, and for how long? Now by a "walk" I don't mean taking him to the end of the block where he wanders and sniffs around. A real walk is where you don't ask his permission to go (eg, getting him excited by the tone of your voice saying 'wanna go for a walk?') You wait until he is calm, and just walk out with him "behind" you. You keep him on a short relaxed leash, and just walk at a fast pace, like you are on a mission. Make sure you have good positive energy, and walk him long enough so he drains his energy. He will be MUCH easier to train if this is done every single day, because he will see you as his packleader, and pay more attention to what you are teaching him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training for 8yr boy [ 12 Answers ]

My 8 yr old boy is not able to clean himself properly after poop, which stained his underwears.. its disgusting but he doesn't feel bad at all.. He developed this habit in 2-3 months before... we explained him so many times to improve it.. grounded him... gave him time out... seems nothing...

Potty training [ 2 Answers ]

OK here's one for the experienced moms in here. My son turned 3 in August and he is still not potty trained. I think I am at my wits end. He does go when he's at school with the other children. He never has accidents there but at home its like a train wreck. I have tried punishment I have tried...

7 month adopted puppy - potty training problems? [ 2 Answers ]

I have just adopted a 7 month old female puppy from a rescue shelter. Her history is unknown. We've had her for a few days and she has yet to use the bathroom outside. We walk her several times for 15 mintues and the minute we get back inside she eliminates on the carpet. She has no concept of...

Potty Training - Little Boy [ 14 Answers ]

My wife and I have a 19 month-old boy (and a little girl due in September). We would like to work on potty training... any suggestions? Should training start by sitting, progressing to standing... or do we try to go straight to the standing approach? ... we are also trying to transition our...

View more questions Search