Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjm3stooges Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Bad smell from my Hot Tub
    I have a 6 man Hydro Spa. I clean it regularly along with the filters. I currently use a chlorine & Bromine free-shock. I have a bad burning type smell that I can't get rid of. I shock the tub almost 3-4 times a week. The (2) filters are brownish and I clean them all the time. However it doesn't seem to last more than a week when the filters are brown again. Every time I go to a spa store to get chemicals each one tells me something different. Need help in diagnosing the problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 07:34 PM

I would have my water tested. Dump what you have, its cheaper to maintain clean fresh water than to fix old junky water. Shocking should be needed about every 2 weeks not every 3 days.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Nov 27, 2008, 08:23 AM

Are you ONLY using this "chlorine & Bromine free-shock"?? What exactly are the ingredients of this "chlorine & Bromine free-shock"? And what exactly are ALL the chemicals you're putting into the water?

Nov 30, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Spa View Post
    Are you ONLY using this "chlorine & Bromine free-shock"??? What exactly are the ingredients of this "chlorine & Bromine free-shock"? And what exactly are ALL the chemicals you're putting into the water?
    This is the only chemical that I'm using right now. It consists of potassium peroxymnonsulfate 32.18 % and inert ingredients 67.82 %. Made by Serena Spa of Phonenix, AZ. If you can offer any suggestions I would be more than greatfull.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Nov 30, 2008, 09:05 PM
    This is an oxidizer, NOT a sanitizer. It doesn't kill anything! It only oxidizes dead organic compounds. Anything that starts growing in the water, bacteria, mold, viruses, will continue to grow. You need to use a sanitizer such as chlorine of bromine. Have a look at the following webpage for water care instructions;

Leisure Time's Spa Care Guide

Dec 1, 2008, 01:07 PM

Thank You for your response. I review and follow the instructions. Thanks Again
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

Dec 26, 2008, 08:20 PM

I have a Nordic Hot Tub (300 gallons)and the place I purchased it from told me to use bromine. I had so much trouble with it I called the factory and they told me to use Cl. Start with two tablespoon and then check pH it should be around 7.3. If the pH is off the smell and color will occur. Also after each use, I add 1 teaspoon Cl for each person and check pH.. I also change the water every couple of weeks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul smell in front entrance to home-onion smell [ 6 Answers ]

A really weird smell, like rotten onions, quite embarrassing because my home is kept spotless everyone comments on the smell right when they walk into the house. There is a shower stall in a bedroom above this entrance but we have snaked it and poured drain cleansers down it and also stopped using...

Dog smell in carpet from peeing how do I get the smell out/ [ 16 Answers ]

How do I get the dog pee smell out of my carpet?

Sewer smell when washing clothes and metal smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved in a Lease to own house and after one month there is now a smell of sewer when washing clothes. The smell in the water has been here since day one and we are in the process of testing the well water. Can anyone help? I think we have a septic tank since we are on well water but the...

BAD SMELL I have a very bad smell coming from my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I live on a slab, older house & have a horrible smell coming from one of my bathrooms, also there are nats flying out of my shower drain. Do you have any idea on what this could be... I really don't have the money for a plumber... please let me know any suggestions... Thank You :confused: ...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search