Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tazz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2004, 09:03 PM
    compound inequalith
    ?? The problem is 6x-4>2x or 4x-1 < x+5. Please show me how to solve this > Thanks
    melanie.albury Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2004, 08:00 AM
    Re: compound inequalith
    Hi,

This works just like solving an equation with an equals sign. If you add something to one side you have to add it to the other, and the same for subtract, multiply, divide etc.

So for the first one you have 6x - 4 > 2x.

taking away 2x from both sides you get:

6x - 2x - 4 > 0
    4x - 4 > 0

adding 4 to both sides you get:

4x > 4

dividing both sides by 4 you get:

x > 1.

[The other way of looking at problems like this is to move numbers from side to side - by this I mean to go from
    6x - 4 > 2x
    to
    6x - 2x - 4 > 0

you can say that in the first one, take the 2x over to the other side. Every time you swap sides, you swap signs, so a + goes to a - and a - goes to a +. So at the moment it is +2x, if you take it to the other side it becomes -2x.

The same works for moving the 4:

4x - 4 > 0
    move the -4 to the other side, swap the signs so it becomes +4:

4x > 4

and the same works again for the multiply - 4x is the same as 4*x (4 multiplied by x). When you take the 4 over to the other side, it becomes a divide.

so 4*x > 4 becomes

x > 4/4 = 1]

So overall the first equation gives you x > 1.

You should now be able to work out the second one. If you have any problems, let me know!

x
    tazz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2004, 09:25 AM
    Compound inequalith
    Thanks for your help. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much floor leveling compound can I use? [ 6 Answers ]

My brother and I plan on putting down some laminate flooring but the existing sub floor very uneven. We are hoping to get out of replacing as much as we can and use some of that leveling material. So my question is how much is the max suggested? Is it 1/4" or ? Thanks for the help.

Which thermal compound do I use? [ 1 Answers ]

29 November 2005. 0208 Hrs. U.S. Central time. FM: OilMan6 SUBJECT: Which thermal compound do I use? I just bought an ABIT motherboard, an Intel P4 CPU, And a thermaltake heatsink.

Need help solving compound linear inequality [ 1 Answers ]

Help! the problem is 2-8(3x-1) less than/equal to 4+6x-2 (4-x) I came up with x greater than/equal to -7/8. Is this right?? Thank you!

View more questions Search