Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    out4mykids Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Can my ex's parental rights be terminated on the cause of abandonment?
    Can I get my ex's parental rights terminated? I have not heard from him since he moved almost 2 years ago. He moves all the time and owes over $7500 in back child support. Sometimes I receive payments and can go months without payments. The fights with the courts go on and on and just as soon as the courts find him , he disappears and then the paper trail goes cold and we start from scratch. He has not called , sent cards , or even asked to see his children in almost 2 years. Can I get his rights terminated on the cause of abandonment? Or do my children , by law, have to have 2 parents?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by out4mykids View Post
    Can I get my ex's parental rights terminated? I have not heard from him since he moved almost 2 years ago. He moves all the time and owes over $7500 in back child support. Sometimes I receive payments and can go months without payments. The fights with the courts go on and on and just as soon as the courts find him , he disappears and then the paper trail goes cold and we start from scratch. He has not called , sent cards , or even asked to see his children in almost 2 years. Can I get his rights terminated on the cause of abandonment? Or do my children , by law, have to have 2 parents?

This has been posted hundreds of times - if you use the search feature you will find the answers.

Basically, no, you cannot terminate his rights.

Quite frankly, I don't know why you want to. He doesn't interfere with your life or the children now and I don't see what you have to gain by attempting to terminate his rights (which, of coure, you cannot do).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 25, 2008, 06:49 PM

Depending on what state you live in, there is a remote possibility that you might get a TPR. But I agree with Judy, why would you bother? He's not exercizing his rights so what's the difference.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 08:30 PM

Basically, no you can't take his rights away. He would have to be notified of the court date and if he showed up it would start your battle all over again. Has he paid even one cent of support in the last year?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regaining custody after parental rights were terminated [ 3 Answers ]

I lost my child to the state of Washington 3 years ago and my aunt has adopted him, she is from another state and she now is very ill and can not care for him any longer, since I lost him I have completely turned my life around and am now married, raising 2 step children that live with me full...

Terminated parental rights/adoption [ 10 Answers ]

I need some advice or direction in regards to my parental rights being terminated and my daughter being adopted. Do I have any rights? What can I do? Is there any hope? I miss my daughter. Please help me

Can I have my daughter's biological fathers parental rights terminated? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father and I were never married. When I was in a relationship with her father he was abusive. He has had little to nothing to do with her in her whole life. She doesn't even remember him. He is constintly in and out of jail and the reason I know this is because...

Child abandonment/ termination of parental rights/ step mother adoption ? [ 2 Answers ]

MY husbands exwife give birth to his(our) daughter in Feb of 2006. He was in Iraq and she did not notify him of the birth. She was using crystal meth and the baby was born addicted. Someone notified the red cross after seeing her military ID and a month later my husband found out. The baby went...

How do I get my ex's parental taken away from him! [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my ex-boyfriends parental rights taken away without his permission? He hasn't seen the kids in a year and he hasn't sent any money. He doesn't even call, I have to call him. I'm getting married to a wonderful man in Dec. He wants to adopt them and I want him to. He's a great father to...

View more questions Search