Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Nov 25, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Pregnancy and anemia
    I got a call yesterday from my doctors office. They told me my iron levels are pretty low and I am anemic so I need to take iron. I have done some research and have read a few times in different websites that it can cause the baby to be born premature or give me a higher chance of needing a blood transfusion. Is there a way I can lessen the chances of giving birth early or needing a blood transfusion? What causes someone to be anemic when pregnant? I've been eating healthy (I thought eating plenty of iron), taking my prenatals, and exercising five days a week. Is it just another weird pregnancy thing that can happen? Or did I do/didn't do something to cause it?
    I've just started taking my iron pills yesterday and my vitamin c supplement, but on the instructions it says to avoid antacids. Well I have heartburn 24/7 pretty much and I used tums. Since starting the pills I haven't taken any tums. What else can I take for this awful heartburn I have? I see my doctor on December 2 which is next week I believe and will ask her more, but I just want to know some stuff beforehand.
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Nov 25, 2008, 02:06 PM

Will it go away after the pregnancy or will I remain anemic?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible symptoms of anemia or something else? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I am a woman in my 20s with no known medical conditions. I have made an appointment with a doctor to ask about this, so I am just trying to get an idea of what I may be dealing with before I go. Over the last year, I have noticed small pinpoint red blood dots on my skin. Most of them blanch...

I think I have anemia [ 11 Answers ]

I think I have anemia!:( I ask you guys to give me more detailed symptoms and I don't want to go to the doctor on fear of being wrong so unless I'm 100 percent sure. SO PLEASE HELP ME!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pernicious anemia [ 1 Answers ]

I have pernicious anemia for 7 years and take B-12 shots monthly, also have crohns, Ulcerative Colotis, Asthma, Acid Reflux and Inner Ear problems, crohns and Colotis is in remission for several years, what I am wondering about is how long of life expectancy should I have with these conditions, I...

Severe anemia [ 2 Answers ]

The other day I was told my hemoglobin was 7. I have no symptoms, and I refuse to go through invasive tests/expensive tests for something it seems to me I don't have. I am a Type 2 diabetic and a manic depressive ( I have been on lithium for 19 years). Can anyone enlighten me on this condition...

Anemia [ 4 Answers ]

What is the solution that the Blood Bank use to determine if the hemoglobin is okay for donation? And is it feasible for a person to prepare it for one's own use?

View more questions Search