Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaiden42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Car accident no police report
    I was involved in an accident on 12nov. Yes,I was my fault.although,no police report was taken,we did submit info.I was later contacted by the person whom I hit insurance compny stating,the had done an apprasial and it would total over 1300! I do not have 1300.. I have stated that I would like to work something out,without getting my insurance compny involved.. yet she is threatening to call the police.. do I have any options in this?:(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 04:54 PM

Usually the damaged party will take an option as you suggested. I don't think the police will have any thing to do with it at this point. It is after the fact.

Offer her money again to fix her car and document that you have done this, as in voice mail messages, etc. Ask to meet her at the body shop, and by the way, if you are paying, then you have the right to ask her to get three estimates.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 25, 2008, 05:58 PM

If I follow you, it was her insurance company that contacted you. So they will not go away and I doubt if they will settle.

$1300 is actually pretty cheap.

Forget the police threats, they are no longer involved, but what WILL happen is her carrier will sue you for the $1300 and win. Only it may be inflated by then with court costs. Bite the bullet and file a claim with your insurer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 06:07 PM

Yes, if you have insurance turn it over to them, or borrow and pay them the 1300. If not, they sue, and you will end up paying legal fees and that 1300 will soon be 3000 or more.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden42 View Post
    i was involved in an accident on 12nov. yes,i was my fault.although,no police report was taken,we did submit info.i was later contacted by the person whom i hit insurance compny stating,the had done an apprasial and it would total over 1300! i do not have 1300..i have stated that i would like to work something out,without getting my insurance compny involved..yet she is threatening to call the police..do i have any options in this?:(

You have two options - pay for the damage or turn it over to your insurance company.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2008, 06:31 PM

Why would you not want your insurance company to know about this? Do you even have an insurance company? It does not matter who ran into who. If you don't have the $1,300 just laying around your house, I would highly suggest you contact your insurance company prior to the other driver's insurance company suing you in court.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 08:04 PM

I get the impression, OP doesn't have insurance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 04:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I get the impression, OP doesnt have insurance.

OP said, "without getting my insurance compny involved..yet she is threatening to call the police..do i have any options in this?" so I assumed there is insurance but there is the usual concern about the rates going up following reporting an accident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident: no police report, what can I do? [ 5 Answers ]

If I did not file a police report, can I sue them or get anything out of them for the damage even if it is minor?

Car accident w/o police report. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm seeking legal advice about a car accident I was involved in. I stopped in the parking lot (there weren't a lot of cars there). The car in front of me was pulling out and backed into me. The damage is not big, but there are some big scratches on my bumper and the front light. The...

Car Accident No Police Report [ 13 Answers ]

Here is my story... back in 01/2006 I was in the middle of a 5 car pile up... anyhow... we didn't call the police to make the report... the guy took my drivers license info and my insurance... which was expired... we'll I let it go... about 1 year later I get a request from the company requesting...

Car accident, not my fault, no police report, have driver info [ 3 Answers ]

A driver hit me while I was nannying with 3 kids in the car. She sobbed about her insurance being so high, and she will pay for the damage out of pocket. It has been 8 months now, and not a penny has been received. Luckily she has still been answering my calls. What rights do I have?

Auto accident with no witness or police report [ 2 Answers ]

I was parking my car at a busy gas station and hit a curb. The guy behind me said that I hit his car, but I said I didn't. None of the other customers witnessed anything, (it was full that day) and the police were not called. Am I liable for his "damages"?

View more questions Search