Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linlourose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Saving breast milk
    Is it possible to save breast milk after it has been given in a bottle feeding? Sometimes my granddaughter leaves an ounce or two in the bottle and I hate to throw it away. Must I?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Our dr. told us it's OK to refrigerate the remainder for 24 hours. We did so frequently and never had a problem.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 28, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Yes, 24 hours in the fridge or 6 months in the deep freeze.:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2006, 01:58 PM
    However, these are "leftovers." I am not sure about breast milk, it has been almost 20 years since I was able to breast feed. However, this should apply. With any form of food, solid or liquid, eaten from utensils or a bottle, saliva becomes mixed with the contents. One of the purposes of saliva is to assist in breaking down the properties of the food.

I would not recommend re-using breast milk or any other kind of milk longer than 12 - 24 hours as the nutrients will be broken down.

Please check with your pediatrician, or call your local Le Leche League, to be on the safe side.

Here is a link to the Le Leche League website.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/bfinfo.html
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 02:03 PM
    Right. The leftovers are different in that they have backwash in it.

... surely there's a medical term for that - it just escapes me... :o
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2006, 02:05 PM
    I think backwash it appropriate. I am not sure if it is the medical term, but I would have to say it is the technical term.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 28, 2006, 03:07 PM
    I agree with not reusing it. I know my wife didn't reuse it after about an hour. We hated to throw it away because it was like gold when she had some in stock, but because of bacteria as the others have alluded to I would becareful. Like the others have suggested I would check with your pediatrician on that to be safe.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 28, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Sorry, I misunderstood the left over part. If you were to separate it that would be fine. My apologies.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jul 2, 2006, 11:10 PM
    A better solution is just save an ounce or two in the fridge, and that way if the baby wants more , it can be warmed and served fresh without wasting any.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bananas and milk [ 32 Answers ]

I just had this weird memory of my bio mom feeding me a chopped up banana in a bowl, sprinkled with sugar and milk poured over it, like cold cereal except minus the cereal. I've never eaten this as a teen or an adult, and I forgot all about it until just now. Is this something that other people eat...

Milk Production [ 6 Answers ]

Just wondering if anyone has had this experience. My females teets are getting big. She had puppies 5 months ago, and they had almost gone back to normal up until she went into estrus. They usually get bigger after a heat cycle then go back down. She was in heat about 4 weeks ago they never really...

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

Pumping breast milk [ 6 Answers ]

I am 30 weeks pregnant. My breast are so full that they leak. I have recently bought a breast pump, I plan to pump exclusively. I have read about storing breast milk. Can I begin pumping now? If yes, can I store what I pump, or is this not the kind of milk that the baby will need?

Got Breast Milk? [ 2 Answers ]

This is a little embarrassing. My boobies are feeling heavy and swoll up. Im also leaking fluid from them. There is no way that I am pregnant because I have not been sexually active in 3 years. My children are both also 5 and 6 years old. Is this my body trying to tell me something? Maybe Im...

View more questions Search