Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    findit Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Nov 25, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Car bugs that bite and invisible are not your imagination
    Need help, have bugs that have invaded my car. Like one responder wrote, these bugs bite a lot then sometimes at all. I have to shower and wash my clothes because before I realized what they were I was bringing them in house, had professionals to fog and spray house several times to get rid of them. I gathered some and took to a lab. These are midges, they are biting flies, the newly hatched ones are as tiny as dust, so you don't see them. Only the females bite for blood to lay eggs. These settle on the car floor and any cloth surfaces such as seats, then fly up to eat at skin and scalp and the females bite for blood. I can see them flying around at night if you shine a light they fly up to it, like the dome light. From reading up on midges they can find their source and nest for up to a few miles. Squirrels, birds and other rodents are a great blood source for them. So they always have ample hosts. Then there is the problem that they build pesticide resistance after generations.
    Tired of people saying that people are imaging this type of bug problem. I have tried fogging car, clean/wash carpet, repellents to no What can kill midges in the car? This has become an incredible problem. I am about to abandon my house and car, I can't take it anymore. I can't even drive my car because the midges get on me and groceries. If someone thinks this is a psychosis then they can have my car and drive it, and after they have been bitten they won't think like that.
    swim55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 12:13 AM
    Hello,
    I am responding to your invisible bites comments and was relieved to find someone else that has the same problem. I have searched the net many times over the past 14 months or so, and have found other similar stories about this problem. However, the real problem is in convincing the professionals that there is such a condition. I have studied this occurrence for over a year and still have yet to find any help whatsoever.
    I would like to speak with you to compare notes and perhaps, if we have the same thing, maybe we can put together a support group, however small, to at least try and prove to the professional community,(ie. Entomoligists, pest companies, other people and friends, and even our own doctors that this situation of biting midges infestation within an enclosed environment does exist, and is of much more magnitude of a problem than fleas, and many hosts of other diptera.
    Please contact me. I am very serious and hope to find similar folks so that we may make viable presentations, in at least more numbers than just you or I, to those people who are best suited to be able to help. This problem, I believe may also have other benefits scientifically, who knows.
    findit Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2009, 09:30 AM
    [QUOTE=swim55;1450415]Hello,
    ... was relieved to find someone else that has the same problem. I have searched the net many times over the past 14 months or so, and have found other similar stories about this problem. However, the real problem is in convincing the professionals that there is such a condition. I have studied this occurrence for over a year and still have yet to find any help whatsoever.

The fact that midge infestations occur in buildings is real. The link below tells of an new EPA building that was invaded by non biting midges, so the same could happen with biting midges. I was suspect of the same occurring after moving into the house then having insulation put in all outside walls. Soon after the problem began. I didn't know it was midges then, I thought it was fleas because of the bites, so I had exterminator spray for fleas. Apparently the insulation caused them to move inward and the house was empty for over 6 months before so they would not be actively seen when buyers came in. Hosing out the window frames a bunch of small white maggot looking bugs came out and were in the outside light fixtures. Never thought that it was the midges thought oh well just some fly maggots, never having to deal with such a thing besides fleas and ants.

Tiny Midges Invade New State Office Building: ; DEP Trying to Find Solution That Won't Hurt the Environment - Science - redOrbit
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 04:05 PM
    You seem to have done a lot of research on these midges. Have you looked into light traps? I do not mean the zapper type, there are traps with a light source and a glueboard to catch them. You might need to experiment with different types of light source to find out which is most attractive to them (fluorescent, incandescent, UV, etc.) That would be the only way to control flying insects that have already laid eggs in an enclosed space, be it house or car. It may take a little time, but it should (eventually) reduce the population enough to let you drive, at least.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Invisible biting/stinging bugs [ 59 Answers ]

We live close to several farmer's fields and have gotten overwhelmed by some type of grain mite. As of yet, no one has been able to identify which specific type. Have tried many different sprays along w/ the exterminators advice. Anyone know how to get rid of these things. We have lost a couch...

Old animated imagination kids film [ 3 Answers ]

I can't remember the name of this old film I used to love as a kid. It was like an animated cartoon, I don't remember any caracters but there was music through the whole thing. The main parts I remember is it was like an imaginary place where you would fly through the air through this canyon or...

What are these almost invisible biting bugs in 1 room of our house? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and for the last year we are getting bites from some invisible flying bugs. We have bombed the entire house, sprayed the front and back yards including the foundation of our house as well. The bites are small raised red bumps that really itch. They seem to bite more at night. ...

Ghosts?Or My Imagination? [ 1 Answers ]

Hii =D My Mum Had a Spiritualist at My House a Few Weeks Ago And He told Her My Great Gran Sits at the bottom of her bed every night n my papa is always in the house. He Also told her there is a 70 year old man grounded in my house. Seemingly the man is still alive n lives in an old folks home...

Children and imagination? [ 9 Answers ]

My niece is 8 and she has been doing a lot of weird things that my sister does not know how to handle... so I thought maybe you guys can help us out a little. First of all my sister is not with the father... my niece stays with her mom on the weekday and then with her dad on the weekend. Well on...

View more questions Search