Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phreshout Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Garage Shop Heating/AC
    I have a 3rd bay of my Kansas home garage, walled off to make a workshop. It is about 350 sq ft with 10' ceiling, insulated walls/ceiling, single insulated overhead door. Climate is about 10 degrees winter-100 degrees summer. Gas supply & flu is not an option, nor can I have a lot of equipment hanging outside. So I'm looking toward electric heat/ac. I need all the wall space I can get. I was thinking about a PTAC like motels use, if I can find suitable specs ( 15,000 BTU cooling & 5kw electric heat).
    Is this OK?
    Could I mount it relatively high (4-6 ft, if I can get my neighbor to help lift in place)? Thanks! Rob
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Nov 25, 2008, 06:10 PM

I see no obvious reason as to why you cannot use a PTAC but you will want to mount it lower on the wall similar to a hotel room for a couple of different reasons. The first being the obvious that heat will tend to rise to the ceiling and leave your floor level much cooler. You might rectify this with a fan. Second reason is maintenance. These PTAC units do not really like to be dirty and to be cleaned correctly you need to take these things out and give them a good hosing down on both the evap and condensing coils. I clean 100+ of these things a year and it is next to imposable to clean/service them in place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating a garage [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 50x20 garage which the previous owner heated with propane. I'm trying to evaluate whether I can switch to two floor forced air industrial type electric heaters, drawing about 25 amps each. The garage is supplied by #8/3 wire and is located about 75' from the house. Any help? ...

Need to run a sub panel to my attached garage for woodworking shop. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all! I am a woodworker and need to install a sub panel in my attached garage. The main is a 200 amp panel and my home was built in 2001. I live in AZ and spoke with the city who said they go by the NEC 2005. I was thinking of running a 60 amp sub panel as this should more than meet my...

From Pouring Garage Pad to Construction of Garage [ 4 Answers ]

How long to you have to wait after pouring the cement garage pad before you can begin construction on the garage?

Adding heating/ac to the garage [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to add AC and possibly heat to my garage so that I can work there. There seems to be two choices: (1) add a portable unit, or (2) extend the duct system from my house. I still need to be able to open and close the garage door so the garage is not energy efficient. Does anyone have...

View more questions Search