Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alabamarose Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 09:15 AM
    About carbon monoxide detectors
    I was wondering about carbon monoxide detectors, if a gas cooker was left on for a long time would it be detected?

Thanks
    WFM117 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Nov 25, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Carbon monoxide is produced whenever a fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. The amount of CO produced depends mainly on the quality or efficiency of combustion. A properly functioning burner, whether natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), has efficient combustion and produces little CO. However, an out-of-adjustment burner can produce life-threatening amounts of CO without any visible warning signs. When appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced usually is not hazardous. But if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can collect in an enclosed space. Hundreds of Americans die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. So the answer is YES, if dangerous levels of CO can collect in an enclosed space over time and you have a carbon monoxide dectector that is in good working condition it should be able to detect the gas admitted by a "gas cooker".
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 04:19 PM

A properly adjusted propane of NG flame will not set off a carbon monoxide detector. Your terminology, gas cooker, probably needs to be better explained. What is it exactly?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carbon monoxide [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the normal carbon monoxide level is? I put in a carbon monoxide detector and it reads 50. I don't know if I should be concerned or not.

Carbon Monoxide Concerns [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a brand new home. Within a year we began experiencing black residue on the stuffed toys in my daugther's bedroom. The carbon monoxide detectors began reacting. My daugther was tested for CO exposure and the home was checked by the local fire department. Both tests were...

Soot and carbon monoxide [ 1 Answers ]

During the past few months I have fainted I believe it maybe something to do with my gas fire. Here is the reason why. In the past during the early fall and late spring when I have not wanted to put my central heating on, I have used my gas fire. On some occasions, I have left it on all night...

Carbon Monoxide [ 1 Answers ]

How does Carbon Monoxide's structure allow it to be used?

View more questions Search