Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jun 28, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Religious Education
    Just a thought...

What do members think of Religious Education in their respective countries.

My apologies for any offence this may create. I am a total atheist, I cannot bring myself to believe in an omnipotent being, but that's who I am.

I am all for religious tolerance and feel that if "we" were all taught the basics about the various "main" religions of the world... maybe, just maybe the whole place would be a darn site nicer place!

Throughout history, more people have been killed, murdered, etc for the sake of one God or another than any other reason, and yet as far as I know all Gods teaching preach peace! (Those who wish to differ feel free)

The question is about religious education, not the merits of one God over another.

Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 06:36 AM
    ... not really sure what you're asking... does this address it?:

I think the "religious education" in public schools up through High School is so nominal that it is neither harmful nor helpful.

At the College level, though, I think "comparative religion" is handled very nicely.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Colbtech I just totally agree with your second to last phrase because that's how I interpret religion and god as peace not to kill, murder in the name of what people believe in.

I was brought up catholic but I'm more agnostic. I like to believe there is a good force of nature above all of us.

I had religious studies everyday at school and one lesson was a double lesson!
    99.9% of the population of malta are catholics thou!

Jun 28, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Rick: Never had the option of "Comparative Religions" when I was at school (when I was there). From what I remember there was no right or wrong religion, just "It is wrong not to believe, you'll go to hell"

Krs: I too believe that there is good in all of us regardless of religion. I also had Double Divinity Monday mornings first and second lesson.

Now I know why I don't like Mondays! Thanks for the reminder...
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2006, 06:55 AM
    I never had a choice of religion when at school.

In fact my husband is no religion and when we talk about the future and our kids, he does ask me if he expects me to baptise them catholics.
    Although all schools are catholic school and even private schools you are thought religion I would rather teach my kids and let them learn at school about religion then they can make their own choice. Im a firm believer of that!

If I had to pick a religion I think buddhism would suit me ;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:32 AM
    It's funny when I look back at it - I went to Catholic school all my life, private boys Jesuit college, even graduated from Bishop's University (LOL) and it never had an effect on me. The education was wonderful mind you, I always tested higher than my public school friends.

My first child is about to enter the public school system here in Canada and I haven't even looked into what they do for religion courses. As long as it's fair and balanced (like FOX News!) she can make up her own mind and ask us questions. What I don't want to someone instilling fear, guilt and hate in her sweet little mind.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 08:28 AM
    True, Needkarma. There are many religions out there that instill fear into people. Predictions of the end of the world. If you do not follow a certain religion you will go to ----. All that stuff, but not all of it is bad. Not all people believe in those teachings anymore. People I think are a lot more opened minded today. I personally do think it would be beneficial if they taught religion class, regardless of belief. There are many people who are interested in many different beliefs and it is up to each individual what they believe and do not believe. I was brought up roman catholic but there are things that I do disagree with. It was intimidating going to confession all the time trying to come up with things you did wrong to tell the priest. Anyway, I personally have read the bible on my own, I go by what is written in my heart and soul. That is what we all need to follow. To wait until a child is older to let them explore what belief is good for them would be beneficial but could also be bad, there are many people who get caught up in cults because they do not know any difference. I guess that is a whole other ball game. I am going to stop rambling. Choice is good. Religion teachings in school, good. I agree with teaching variety of religions. Instead of just one.

Joe
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2006, 09:01 AM
    Unfortunately here in the States we are supposed to keep religion out of school. However, the school my daughter, she is 12 and in 7th grade, attends has found an interesting way to teach what Rickj calles "comparative religion." They have turned it over to the Social Studies department and she is being taught Buddhism, Daoism, Islam, Confuscinism, and the like. She feels it is very interesting and opened her eyes to different kinds of people.

Jun 28, 2006, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Unfortunatley here in the States we are supposed to keep religion out of school. However, the school my daughter, she is 12 and in 7th grade, attends has found an interesting way to teach what Rickj calles "comparative religion." They have turned it over to the Social Studies department and she is being taught Buddhism, Daoism, Islam, Confuscinism, and the like. She feels it is very interesting and opened her eyes to different kinds of people.
    I think that I would have found this far more interesting than the standard C of E education that I was subjected to.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2006, 09:10 AM
    At 12 years old, she has found it extremely interesting. As a matter of fact, in college last semester I chose a course for an elective called Survey of World Religions, and was even able to get into a rather adult conversation about the beliefs of other faiths with my 12 year old.

She said that this has taught her to be more considerate of other ways of life.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    True, Needkarma. There are many religions out there that instill fear into people. Predictions of the end of the world. If you do not follow a certain religion you will go to ----. All that stuff, but not all of it is bad. Not all people believe in those teachings anymore. People I think are a lot more opened minded today.
    Joe

Are you saying that predictions that the world will end are bad? Not believing them is good? Believing them is to be closed minded. Not believing them is to be open minded? Or am I once more misunderstanding you? Isn't Christianity a "certain religion"?

Why someone should fear this wicked world ending and being replaced with an infinitely better one where the present sufferings will end and even death will be done away with is far beyond me.

Revelation 21:4 (King James Version)
    4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Isaiah 65:17
    [ New Heavens and a New Earth ] "For behold, I create new heavensand a new earth,and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
    Isaiah 65:16-18 (in Context) Isaiah 65 (Whole Chapter)

2 Peter 3:13
    But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Actually, the solution to the present confusion of religions and its hate crimes based on this confusion which began at Babel is the ending of this world and its replacement with one which will function under God's direct rule via Jesus.

As stated by Peter, one of Jesus' Apostles and the one Catholics say was their first Pope, in this New World no unrighteousness will exist, which means no religiously motivated crimes. In short, we are told that man by his own effort can't fix things on this earth and that only solution is a termination or ending of this system of things as JESUS promised would take place.

BTW
    Those who love righteousness fear the continuance of this wicked world not its termination.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Starman,

Yes, once again you are misunderstanding me. I am not afraid of this world ending but if you want to go straight for the bible it says that their will be many predictions about the end, many people claiming to be the returned jesus which is false. Jesus will come back to judge the world like a thief in the night. No one can predict the time, day, month, year of his return. Not even the angels in heaven know when it is going to happen. Only God. So why do so many people listen to predictions? I think the predictions are false because no one knows the time or day. People who predict the end times and scare tactics from certain religions and cults does do damage. Even causes deaths for some lost souls. So is it bad to predict, yes. Why, the bible states that no one knows the day.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Are you saying that predictions that the world will end are bad? Not believing them is good? Believing them is to be closed minded. Not believing them is to be open minded? Or am I once more misunderstanding you?
    BTW

Why someone should fear this wicked world ending and being replaced with an infinitely better one where the present sufferings will end and even death will be done away with is far beyond me.
    I don't see any present sufferings and neither should kids in grade school. I also wouldn't go around telling little kids that the world will end - that's akin to some form of child abuse in my book.
    -

Jun 28, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I don't see any present sufferings and neither should kids in grade school. I also wouldn't go around telling little kids that the world will end - that's akin to some form of child abuse in my book.
    You don't see murder, sickness, terrorism, theft, rape, child abuse, torture, beheadings, mourning? Then we aren't living in the same world.

BTW
    Telling kids that this garbage is going to continue and that there is no God who cares or who will put an end to it is child abuse.
    -

Jun 28, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Starman,

Yes, once again you are misunderstanding me. I am not afraid of this world ending but if you want to go straight for the bible it says that their will be many predictions about the end, many people claiming to be the returned jesus which is false. Jesus will come back to judge the world like a thief in the night. No one can predict the time, day, month, year of his return. Not even the angels in heaven know when it is going to happen. Only God. So why do so many people listen to predictions? I think the predictions are false because no one knows the time or day. People who predict the end times and scare tactics from certain religions and cults does do damage. Even causes deaths for some lost souls. So is it bad to predict, yes. Why, the bible states that no one knows the day.
    You are 100% right.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Predicting the exact date is unscriptural because, as you say, even Jesus himself admitted he didn't know. I agree that such predictions are wrong since they assume more knowledge than the scriptures warrant. So the wise thing to do is simply admit we don't know as Jesus did, live a Christian life, and let God take care of the rest.

BTW
    I also agree that such predictions can cause great damage to the believer's faith and his life.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    You don't see murder, sickness, terrorism, theft, rape, child abuse, torture, beheadings, mourning? Then we aren't living in the same world.
    You just choose to see all the bad things in this world. I choose to see all the good things in the world. Hey, what if there isn't this 'magical' place where there there is no strife at all? I'd rather enjoy my time here on earth with good people and do good things.

To each his own.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
    I'm not sure there are actual religion classes in public school here, but they might take a sort of comparative religions section as part of social studies. Also, at various holiday times, children are educated and exposed to the different cultural / religious celebrations, such as Channukah, Passover, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Holi, and the traditions of the First Nations peoples, etc, as our area is quite multicultural. The elementary school near my home has about a high percentage of Muslim children, for example.

My children are going to the Montessori school though, which is private. From what I understand, they will be learning comparative religions as well. Overall I think it's very good for children to learn about the cultures and beliefs of others, and especially to learn that their particular beliefs are not better than anyone else's. I think it fosters respect and understanding.

I am Jewish, and I went to a Catholic school, and I was treated very well there. I learned to appreciate the Catholic faith while at the same time not feeling like I had to be a Catholic personally. The Sisters always made me feel special for being Jewish, and encouraged me to learn about my faith. I took comparative religions in university as well and found it very interesting and enlightening.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
    ... hmmm, where's those boxing gloves?
    -

Jun 28, 2006, 12:42 PM
    You just choose to see all the bad things in this world. I choose to see all the good things in the world. Hey, what if there isn't this 'magical' place where there there is no strife at all? I'd rather enjoy my time here on earth with good people and do good things.

To each his own.
    I am sure you would. But please uderstand that it all depends on what we consider "good things" and who we consider "good people" since such terms have a very broad meaning and can be interpreted in many ways to suit one's preferences as human history repetedly demonstrates.

Yes, I do I see it all, the good and the bad. There is nothing wrong with enjoying oneself as long as it doesn't involve harming people in some way. Example:

Some people enjoy themselves by stealing, raping, wife beating, torture, persecuting those who are different in some way, constantly insulting via sarcasm, depriving others of their human rights etecetera. While others enjoy themselves via helping the disadvantaged, going surfing, playing basketball, conversation, playing the guitar, reading, watching a movie, sex with the wife, etcetera.

There is no need to stop enjoying yourself simply because you believe that a New World is coming. Unless, of course, the type of enjoyment is the former one I describe, Then I suppose there will be deprivation.

BTW

I agree: to each his own.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2006, 12:47 PM

To each his own.
    Tried to give you rep and couldn't... anyway I agree with you 100%! I don't see the point in teaching my children about all the horrors of the world and scaring them on purpose. There's plenty of time for them to learn about that world as they get older. Rather I'd like to concentrate on what they can do personally to make the world a better place. Like with a hurricane or a tsunami for instance, rather than dwell on how horrible it was and how it signals climate change or G-d's wrath or whatever, I would rather teach the kids the meaning of compassion... let them help with raising money or goods to send to the victims, etc. Let them see how in times of trouble like that people can band together to help the less fortunate, regardless of their beliefs. I never want my kids to give up hope.

My biological mother was a paranoid schizophrenic, and she was constantly telling me about the horrors of the world and how the world was unsafe, that it was going to end soon and G-d would save us, etc. All that did was terrorize me and cause trauma. It took me a long time in therapy to not feel that the world was a terrible place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bible Education [ 1 Answers ]

What does it mean HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW :confused:

Veteran Education [ 1 Answers ]

I am a "Korean Conflict" veteran with a ten percent disability, as well as a "Cal Vet". Does anyone know how I can find out what type of educational benefits I am entitled to? Thanks, Kavanaugh

Education [ 2 Answers ]

Which is the African city named after an American President

Home education [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I get help with setting my son suitable maths english and reading work. He is 14 years old

View more questions Search