Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    getoffmyass93 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Verification of a business
    I am researching a company for personal financial use and I can't seem to find out much about them. I am in a financial crisis and a friend saw an internet add for a company called The Owners Advocate - a group of people who help people get out of their timeshares.
    The website www.theownersadvocate.com gives info on pricing and such and they need $ upfront. I don't normally trust anyone who is asking for money upfront. I wanted to do some research on this company and haven't found out much. I was going to see if I could go to their offices and speak with someone face to face but their addr is ups post service - like a pob box. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can find out more info?
    Any help is appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 10:24 AM

You could try the Better Business Bureau in their area. That may be a good start to finding out about them.

Nov 25, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Thank you Tickle. I have checked there but they have no info on this company whatsoever.
    Any other suggestions?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 10:38 AM

If the BBB doesn't have anything on them, then I doubt they are still in business, if indeed they ever were. No, sorry, but doesn't mean the old thinking cap is broken. It may still come up with something, leave it with me. But others, now that I have answered, may have suggestions, so hang in there :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 10:54 AM

Well the fact their address is a UPS box is sort of one give away about doing business with them.

So call them ask them for their real phsycical address so you can come in and sit down with them. If they won't give you a real address, that is another clue.

Also see if they are attorney, if they are giving you legal advice on time shares and are not an attorney, and they are taking money for it, it is illegal also.

Also I was not able to find the web page owner by the whois search.

Nov 25, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Thank you both for all your help. I was already leary now I know to stay away. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't know if is a true verification [ 1 Answers ]

I contacted several Collection agencies about verification and a couple replied with a sheet of paper telling me that the account was bought from the original creditor and how much was owed. However that was it! Nothing else. Aren't they supposed to give me all the history of the account as...

Wage Verification [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently offered a position... The salary is definitely higher than my current salary. Upon verbally accepting the offer, the Human Resources Generalist asked me to submit to her a copy of my pay stub from my current employer. Is this legal? Aren't there privacy rights revolving...

Credit verification [ 10 Answers ]

Questions: How can collections be reported to you when/if the social is wrong but everything else right or when you never gave a social at all... i.e. a collection agency represents a company you never disclosed your social to... how does that happen. And when you try to validate the debt it...

GPA Verification [ 2 Answers ]

Can employers request and get GPA info from your school?

F1-OPT-H1B Verification [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, based on the info below -Atlanta TaxPayer Expert - you said my F-1 visa status expired on Jan 04. My New question is: Is this true even though I was given an F-1 visa with an expiration date of May-30-2005? Thank you very much!! I have been in the US since August 2000. I started...

View more questions Search