Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PARCOM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 10:25 PM
    Arch Fault Breakers
    I installed AFCI breakers in a 100 amp panel.
    When the lights are turn on the breaker shut down the circuit. Everything is wired properly!
    Is there a special way to install AFCI breakers?
    Help
    Parcom
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 02:38 AM
    An Arc Fault circuit breaker has a silver colored terminal on it to connect the load neutral wire, the white wire that is going out to the circuit. The short whiite pigtail off the breaker gets connected to the neutral bar in the panel.

The black wire from the circuit gets connected to the hot load teminal of the breaker.

These breakers will not work on any circuit that shares a neutral, for example, a 3 wire cable, where the black feeds one circuit and the red feeds another circuit, with the one white as the return for both.

If it is connected correctly, then there must be a short in the circuit.
    PARCOM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2006, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    An Arc Fault circuit breaker has a silver colored terminal on it to connect the load neutral wire, the white wire that is going out to the circuit. The short whiite pigtail off the breaker gets connected to the neutral bar in the panel.

The black wire from the circuit gets connected to the hot load teminal of the breaker.

These breakers will not work on any circuit that shares a neutral, for example, a 3 wire cable, where the black feeds one circuit and the red feeds another circuit, with the one white as the return for both.

If it is connected correctly, then there must be a short in the circuit.
    Thank you for your response, when you say there could be a short in the circuit, do you mean the circuit breaker? Please advise...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:18 AM
    No, in the circuit, which is the wiring that leaves the circuit breaker and connects to the lights, outlets, etc on that circuit. The breaker is either wired wrong with the neutral , or is reacting to a short in the wiring it feeds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior arch project [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to construct an arched entry into my dining area. Currently, there is a 70” wide x 4.5” deep x 8’ high opening between two walls; ceiling is 8’ high. I think it needs a 1’ head wall at the top of the arch. Any suggestions on how to construct a frame, arch, and cover it with drywall...

ARC fault breakers ? [ 4 Answers ]

I see where the 2005 NEC requires ARC fault breakers on all bedroom circuits,lighting and wall recepticals. It appears that this is for new construction. Would this also apply to rewiring an old house? Thanks in advance. Tom

Creating arch openings in wall [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so I think I've watched ONE too many episodes of 'Flip That House'. I loved an idea I saw and want to do something similar in the house I just bought. I want to take the wall (not load-bearing) between the dining area and kitchen and open up two large (wider than door-size) openings with...

Arc fault breakers [ 4 Answers ]

I am wiring bedrooms and I know that in California the outlets need to be on an arc fault breaker. 2 questions 1. would there be any problem in wiring a couple of recess lights in the bedrooms on the same circuit with the outlets? 2. There is an outlet in the hallway opposite and outlet in...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to up grade the amps going to my garage so I can run my saws and power tools with out dimming my shop lights. I currently have a old style fuse box in the garge feed with 12ga uf cable run off a 20amp circuit breaker in the service panel. My plans are to replace the fuse box with a new...

View more questions Search