Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 02:10 PM
    A good Chili Recipe?
    I was wondering if anybody had a good chili recipe they could share with me. I was going to make some tonight and I would like a really good one. Can anyone share with me and please include the steps to.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 02:39 PM

Anybody have anything? Please?
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 07:59 PM

No great cook here... although this looks interesting and achievable:
    Chicken Cashew Chili Recipe at Epicurious.com
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 08:36 AM

Hi adam!

Whenever I'm looking for a new recipe and it's not in my cookbooks, I visit epicurious.com. There are some great recipes on the site, and I love being able to read the reviews.

Here are a few recipes you can look at to get you going. Let us know how your dinner goes!

Chili Con Carne with Chili Cheddar Shortcakes Recipe at Epicurious.com

Tuscan Chili - Main Courses - New York Magazine

Havana Moon Chili Recipe at Epicurious.com
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 10:23 AM

Hello. Thank you both for your referels to that site. I didn't get the chance to get them before I went to the grocery store and buy for the chili. So, I just went with it, and as a matter of fact, my girlfriend said mine was better than her moms. Haha. She just told me not to tell her mom. It made me feel good. I will share mine though.

1lb hamburger
    3/4 of a small box of noodles
    Green pepper
    Onion
    Spicy chili beans
    1 big can of tomato juice
    Chili powder
    Salt
    Pepper

I cooked the hamburger while the noodles were boiling, and I threw in what looked like enough green peppers and onions and cooked them with the hamburger.
    Then I drained the noodles and then added everything else in and salted, peppered, added some chili powder to my taste preference. I left it on low heat for about a half hour to let everything heat up. It was really really good.

I also have a really to die for peanut butter pie if anybody is interested?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2008, 10:27 PM
    I would add, in addition to frangipanis and linnea's suggestion about epicurious (a site I've used for years) to also include allrecipes.com... I commonly bounce between the two, comparing top rated recipes, member reviews, suggestions.

There are a few others ill muddle through now and then, but when I want a quick selection with a bunch of reviews, those two are the best sites in my mind... tho' too many people give 4 or 5 ratings for recipes they dramatically change.

For a change in your texture and taste, substitute browned beef stew meat (you might need to cut it into smaller cubes than what the store gave) or even a mix of beef and lamb. It gives a different "beefy" flavor, but you need to let it simmer for some time (2-3 hours) to get the beef tender. Just like hamburger, you must brown the meat first, and softening an onion and peppers at the end of browning is a good idea if you are so inclined.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 04:19 AM

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I think I can remember these websites when I need to refer back. Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 11:45 AM

I use Furmano's whole tomatoes and Bushs chili beans.
    I like Adams recipe except you got to add a clove of garlic.
    If the sauce is too thin add some tomato paste, if too thick add more tomato juice (v8 is fine)
    If it is too thin and it gets too spicy add instant potato flakes.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I use Furmano's whole tomatoes and Bushs chili beans.
    I like Adams recipe except you gotta add a clove of garlic.
    If the sauce is too thin add some tomato paste, if too thick add more tomato juice (v8 is fine)
    If it is too thin and it gets too spicy add instant potato flakes.
    Hmm. Potato flakes. That is a great idea. I like a spicy chili. I got spicy chili beans but it still wasn't spicy. Do you have any suggestions for that? My chili is usually pretty thick but usually just the right amount of both for me.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 11:58 AM

Remember the potato flakes will take away the spiciness.
    Sometimes when I have the chili too spicy but it is the thickness I like I just make mashed potatoes and poor the chili over them like gravy.
    Oh, also, adding water to your chili and letting it simmer will increase the spiciness. Mine usually ends up way too spicy if I add water.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 06:04 AM

Ok. Thanks a lot. That sounds like a pretty good idea, I was wondering if people in other states used noodles in their chili? Almost everybody I know in Indiana uses elbow noodles in their chili and I do too. I Live in Indiana and I have been told by several people in this state that the noodles in chili is only an Indiana thing.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 06:15 AM

Have you had Skyline chili? I don't know what part of the state you are in but it is a Cincinnati based chili outlet.Not too spicy but great flavor,in Krogers you can find the dry packets to make your own at home.I have made it this way since I moved to upper Illinois years ago.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 06:35 AM

Yes, I have heard of Skyline. Once when I worked in a cantaloupe field we my brother delivered some to somewhere in Cincinnati and he always talks about skyline chili today, and that was about 6 or 7 years ago. I would like to try it again, so I might have to check out Kroger.

Thanks!
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 10:28 AM

I love to make chili. You can also find a TON of recipes on Cooks.com - Recipe Search and More I go there a lot mainly for when I want to try something new. I know I'm a little late but this is how I make my chili and everyone loves it.

1lb ground beef (browned) add onions and green peppers if you want and drain the grease.
    1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
    1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
    1 14 oz can of kidney beans
    1 14 oz can of chili beans
    1 packet of chili seasoning

I mix it all together in a crockpot and let it simmer. I always get fritos scoups to go with it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    I love to make chili. You can also find a TON of recipes on Cooks.com - Recipe Search and More I go there a lot mainly for when I want to try something new. I know I'm a little late but this is how I make my chili and everyone loves it.

1lb ground beef (browned) add onions and green peppers if you want and drain the grease.
    1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
    1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
    1 14 oz can of kidney beans
    1 14 oz can of chili beans
    1 packet of chili seasoning

I mix it all together in a crockpot and let it simmer. I always get fritos scoups to go with it.
    That sounds amazing! Thank you
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 01:33 PM

It is... lol. Super easy too!
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 02:40 PM

Yea, I was thinking that it seemed easy and good. Haha
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 08:31 PM

Kp, I'm with you on the allrecipes.com recommendation. I think the benefit of the site comes in the sheer size of its archives and the number of reviews the recipes get. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the sandra-lee type concoctions and the overabundance of canned cream-of-something soup as an ingredient, but I have found some good recipes there, and I will always take a peek in if I'm looking for a recipe that's hard to find elsewhere. It's also good for helpful kitchen tips and new ideas.

Okay, onto the chili. I must say that in most occasions, I try to start with the tried and true authentic version of a recipe before I venture into the idea of trying a changed version of it or changing it myself. There are many times when I'm a stickler for keeping the original as it is supposed to be, and my face pales at the idea of drastically changing a classic while keeping it under its old name (sluttified carbonara come to mind).

I am no fan of snobs in general, and I don't want to be one myself, but there are some things I get religious over. I'll get back to that idea in a sec.

I'm not from Texas, and no matter how much I try to fit the bill, I'm not a born and bred cowgirl. If I were, however, I would be kicking myself in my soft parts for suggesting 3 recipes that have verged off the ranch and into the hands of city slickers.

When it comes to "real" Texas chili, there are slight disagreements regarding what real cowboys used to stick in their pots (there are also questions regarding the true origin of chili and its chili-type offspring), but there are a couple of rules that have been so widely accepted by serious chili worshipers that certain things cannot be included in their competitions. No beans. No tomatoes.

Then you get into other conversations talking about the same thing, adhering to strict Texas chili rules, and they also have cooking competitions. The difference is that they'll say yes to the tomatoes, but you'll still get a "hell no" to beans.

Suggestions for chopped and pulled stewing meat are right on target. It's authentic, and it's good. There's a melting element that comes out of cooking meat that way, and it's killer. Ground chuck or sirloin is also widely accepted, and it can be great. You like one over the other? Use it. In my mind, it's a tie. It depends upon the recipe.

Although I've lived in the south, I'm still a yankee. This means that I've put beans in my chili without feeling guilty about it. There are all kinds of recipes for chili out there, and I've tried several without feeling like a traitor for adding any dreaded beans or (sometimes) illegal tomatoes.

Talking about serious cooking, there are some rules I just won't budge on. No powdered meals in a bag. No powdered potatoes. No names of things I can't identify as food will be going into the pot. And it gets worse, I know. No garlic salt. No pre-seasoned ingredients, including pre-seasoned tomato sauce. Well, you get the idea. That's just me.

Onto the question. I saw an episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain as he traveled into the depths of Cleveland, and he dropped into a Skyline Chili joint for a bite to eat. I'm going to plead ignorance on this one, and you'll just have to forgive me. I had never seen chili and pasta together before, and I thought it might be a fluke. I forgot about it.

So, adam, don't take this personally, but after reading your post, I got a little slack jawed. I wasn't sure what the chili-pasta combination might be coming from. Well, I did my research, and it's clear to me that I've really been in the dark about Cincinnati chili. There are a handful of ingredients that are unique to Cincinnati style chili, and the result is used on everything from spaghetti, which is often also slathered with a pound of orange cheese, or to top hot dogs (cheese included), to fries, to burgers, to lots of things. Interesting.

Since I've never eaten it, I'm not going to put an opinion on it. I've tried imagining it, and I can't do it this time. I don't know what it's like, but there are certainly enough seriously devoted fans that there has to be something in it that works.

The only thing is that I'm wondering is if this thing about cooking pasta in chili is usually done by stewing the pasta in it. To avoid confusion, I bring this up because the recipe posted talked about boiling the pasta, adding it to the chili, and then stewing it in there to heat up for half an hour.

Please don't hate me. I'm just trying to send in some extra info, not force my opinions onto others. If you want to say "screw you linny, i like it that way," I have no problem holding up my hands and letting you enjoy your dinner how you like it. It's your dinner, and I'm really not trying to be bossy or mean or tell you what you have to do. I like you. You're sweet. Okay? Deal? :D okay. So, I have been looking around, and I can't find any recipes that say to do that. It looks like you're supposed to boil the pasta, and then top it with the chili-like sauce.

As an al dente girl, in my humble and overwhelmingly biased opinion, it's wrong. It's like canning cookies in juice or wearing a ripped up wedding dress. No and no. it shouldn't happen. I realize that chili and pasta is not Italian (actually, the creation is it's attributed to Greek-American immigrants in the Midwest), but even if you're going to be putting chili on pasta, I think there are some things you still have to accept about the basic rules of preparing pasta.

I realize that I could jump the rails with everything I want to say regarding the proper preparation of pasta, but I think it's better to leave that to a future thread. The bottom line is that pasta should be cooked al dente, which means that it still has a bite to it. It should not be mushy. I know that there are plenty of uber-companies that sell pasta in soups, and that pasta sits in the broth for up to a couple of years before it's eaten. It's wrong (or okay for some children), but I think it's messed with incorrect notions of proper pasta preparation wherever it's found. Pasta should be al dente.

In answer to the chili question, when one says "chili" in a non-regional setting, it's more or less supposed to refer to "true" Texas chili; other regions let beans into their chili; vegetarians talk about vegetarian chili; when you're talking about chili with pasta (and usually a different palate of seasonings), it's known as Cincinnati chili... at least, that's what I've got from the mixed stories.

It's been two days now, and every time I find one rule, another one says it ain't so. Let's just say that I think that some of what I said is true in one way or another. The one I'm sure about is that pasta shouldn't be cooked to mush.

It seems real chili making is like barbecue. If you get a chili fanatic, he'll have a five-alarm heart attack if someone strays from the high road. Still, there are plenty of delicious chili-like versions all over the country. I don't think they (or should I say we) have anything to apologize for, but I do think it's worth knowing the roots and the fundamentals of anything lucky enough to grace your stoves. Tada.

Before I forget, I found some interesting links you might want to take a peek at. Here we go, cowboys and cowgirls:

Dean's World - How To Make Some Real Chili
    Authentic 1840 Texas Chili Recipe | Recipezaar
    Authentic Texan Chili Recipe

Chili con carne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skyline Chili-5 Ways | Anthony Bourdain, cleveland, ohio | teamsugar - Women's Social Network & Community.
    Skyline Chili - The Official Website of Skyline Chili
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 11:42 AM

I thank you for that very interesting post. You seem like a very cool person. I don't know how to explain my shili. Me and one of my friends always argue about it because he calls mine chili soup and calls his chili. Haha. I boil the noodles and then I add everything else in. then I leave it on low heat just so everything can blend flavors together or somehting like that. I do like it, but I just don't know. Haha. I don't take anything you said to offense. I will check out those recipes! Thanks a lot!
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 09:30 AM

If you've got chili in your bones, there's no reason why you can't keep making it, read all the chili based literature you can find, attend chili cook offs, and keep cooking-cooking-cooking more and more chili until you've got the best pot of it for miles and miles.

Then again, you could just live like a normal human being and make it now and then. Just keep trying to make it better every time (until you get it just right! When you do, leave it as it is).

If you want to do something to your batch but you're not sure if it's going to work, you don't have to do it to the whole thing. You can divide it up.

When you get the fundamentals down, you'll benefit from them every time you cook.

Everyone's got to eat. There's no getting around that. So you can either choose to eat take out for the rest of your life (which ain't so good for you), you can make crappy stuff in your microwave (which ain't so good for you), or you can learn to cook, which happens to be the best way to know what you're putting into your body... plus, it's a lot of fun. At least I really think it is. I think you do too. Chili is especially good that way. It's a social thing. Friends love friends that make chili.

I'm glad that you've got such a good attitude. If you keep stirring the chili pot, post what's been working for you (or what hasn't, which is okay too).

This is fun.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good italian dressing recipe? [ 1 Answers ]

I am sooo tired of the italian dressings in the grocery store. I rarely use italian dressing but when I do I shake the bottle and before I can even start to pour it the oil is already separated and back on the top. I end up with a hoagie full of oil and no dressing. I have to pour half the bottle...

Some good Chili! [ 1 Answers ]

A young cowboy walks into a seedy café in Western Oklahoma. He sits at the counter and notices an old cowboy with his arms folded staring blankly at a full bowl of chili. After fifteen minutes of just sitting there staring at it, the young cowboy bravely asks the old cowpoke, 'If you ain't going to...

What is a good recipe for barbecue meatballs ? [ 3 Answers ]

... thanks I don't like sweet and sour ones. I want to make the ones that have a nice barbecue taste.

Chili [ 5 Answers ]

What is your fave basic recipe for chili? (I always seem to think about chili around this time of year) I say basic cause I have seen recipes with chocolate !~~YUGGH Also I was getting tired of not being able to make a good pot of spaghetti for years Especially the noodles. Then a friend of...

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

View more questions Search