Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Electric cooktop
    This seems a bit strange to me, but I bought a brand new electric cooktop with three wires coming off it. The ground and two hots. So there's a black, red and green wire. So what do I do with the neutral coming out of the wall? I don't have a wire to connect it to.
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 01:37 PM

Is there a way to replace the cord coming off the cooktop with a pigtail that has a neutral in it? I've seen them at Menards but I don't know if the extra wire would connect anywhere to my cooktop
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Zoe, why would you suggest replacing the appliance whip? This is a straight 240v appliance. There is NO connection for a neutral as the appliance does not use one.

Simply cap the white wire off.
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 01:54 PM

So just cap off the white wire coming out of the wall? And connect the ground wire coming off the cooktop to the electrical box the way the old cooktop was?
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 02:00 PM

I've been reading online that in 2002 the companies that make appliances have to use a 4 wire whip if they are to be sold in the US. So that's why I though it was really weird. Then my brother looked at the paperwork that came with it and it's an Australian model. I bought it at Lowe's. Are you sure there really shouldn't have been a white wire coming off it to begin with? I've worked with electrical and appliances for over 6 years and I have never seen an appliance like this come without a neutral in the whip.

Nov 24, 2008, 02:09 PM
    If it is 240v, and not 120/240v, then there is no neutral.

No different from an A/C condenser or big electric motor. Straight 240v is two hots and a neutral. That's it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 02:33 PM

OK. Thanks for your help!
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Nov 25, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Straight 240v is two hots and a neutral. That's it.
    It's 2 hots and a ground, Stan just mis-spoke. I'm sure when he comes along he'll fix it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 12:57 PM

I figured that's what he meant. Thanks! We have it hooked up and everything works fine!

Nov 25, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tev View Post
    It's 2 hots and a ground, Stan just mis-spoke. I'm sure when he comes along he'll fix it.
    Yeah, DUH! Good catch Tev. Thanks. :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to run a gas line to a new cooktop. [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling my kitchen and I used to have an electric range and now I have a gas cooktop and a double oven (the oven is electric). I have gas to the water heater, but nowhere else in the house. Just need to know if there is specific type if line to use and if there are codes as to where it has...

Air exhaust for a Gas cooktop [ 1 Answers ]

When using a gas cooktop in a kitchen, is it okay to recirculate the air with an exhaust fan or must the fan be vented outside?

Gas cooktop [ 1 Answers ]

Who invented the gas cooktop and in what year?

Electric cooktop installation [ 4 Answers ]

I have a older GE cook top I would like to replace. The wiring has a red, black and white. The new cooktop has black, red and a bare copper wire. The instructions state that the appliance is a 240 volt unit and to connect to a 3 wire 120/240 volt power supply. The neutral, I assume white, is...

Stained cooktop [ 2 Answers ]

How can I remove burned on stain on a Maytag smooth top range, I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING.:confused:

View more questions Search