Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stoweman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Can unemplyed people borrow from 401(k)?
    I am currently unemplyed and CANNOT get a straight answer to the question whether I can borrow from my 401(k). Does anybody know the simple "yes" or "no" to that question? I'll worry about rules, etc. later. I need to start with the simple answer.

Thank you!
    Forgiveme Posts: 42, Reputation: 4

Nov 24, 2008, 11:39 AM

Yes
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 02:32 PM

No.

In general you must be an employee to borrow from your 401(k). That's so your monthly repayment amount can be deducted from your paycheck. Obviously if you're unemployed there's no way to do that.

However, you CAN take a distribution from your 401(k), although you would have to pay both income taxes and early withdrawal penalty (if you're under 55).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to borrow money [ 9 Answers ]

I am in need to borrow 5k, but with my credit being so bad I don't quality from any reputable finance companies. Every time I apply online, I get these people from canada/florida who are a bunch of crooks and I'm embarrassed to say that I did get taken for for $1200. Anyway is there any reputable...

How to borrow money [ 11 Answers ]

I want to borrow money form someone , of course I have to do through a lawyer, right? Any way, when signing the papers I don't want this person to know my age, does the age has to be there on the paper? What info has to be there to be a good legal document that would give him assurance that I will...

Should I borrow $ to pay creditor [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are on a path to becoming debt free! We have paid off $14,000 :p :p n debt in a little over a year! Unfortunately, one collection agency has lost patience with us and had threatened to sue. They refuse any amount that I attempt to pay when they call because it is not the amount...

View more questions Search