Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MattsMom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Water heater
    Hubby installed a new 50 gallon electric smart tank water heater last week. Also installed a water softener. Disconnected the water softener after a day, as it was leaking, and needs to get back to it. Water heater worked good for a week. Yesterday, we found no hot water in one side of the house, but hot water in the other. Hot water in kitchen and the bathroom up above it, but not in the bathrooms on the other side of the house. What could be wrong?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 08:50 AM

Something has broken loose during your hubbies attempt at plumbing. Check to make sure he has not accidentally engaged a bypass valve some where. Open a supply line under a sink with no hot water,confirm to us if you get no water from that line or cool water.

Nov 24, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Thanks so much for getting back to me. I'll have to let you know tomorrow, as I'm not home.

Oh, can you tell me where the by-pass valves are and what they look like? My hubby probably knows this, but when I asked him what he thought was wrong, he said he had no idea. Thanks again, and I'll check the valve(s) and under sink water tonight when I get home from work.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 10:43 AM

The bypass he might have touched is located just above the water softner. The manifold is kind of shaped like a H and the bypass is in the horizontal part of that letter. Let me know later what the water temp is under the sink at the supply line. Cool water or no water are the two likley discoveries. Some crud may now be caught in the faucet mixing valves on the hot inlet side.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 01:11 PM

The attach linlks are just for info, to show what a water softner by pass valve is, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Nov 24, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Great. I'll bring the schematics home to the hubby. Thanks so much!

Hubby opened up the faucets in the upstairs bathrooms and let the water run for a while which gave us hot water in the downstairs bathrooms for a little while. He also cleared crud out of the aerators. The water in the supply line to the cold water bathroom was existent, but cool when we opened the line. Alas, no hot water this morning. Hubby opened the faucets upstairs for a while and I was able to get hot water downstairs for a shower. I'm betting when I get home tonight, no hot water again.

The water softener is no longer attached, so the valve above it doesn't make a difference at this point.

Any ideas, guys?

Thanks again

Dec 1, 2008, 09:42 AM

Still having problems. When I run the hot water upstairs on the other side of the house, I can get hot water in the downstairs bathroom sink and shower, but only when I run the other. Do you think there's some crud in the lines from the installation? Any other ideas? The supply line in the sink without hot water is existent, but cool.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 07:00 PM

Is it posible that you have a circulating hot water system, if you do it could be something in the lines not letting it circulate, and if it is hooked up in a way that the supply water goes into the bottom of the tank you could be drawing hot water out of the bottom of the tank making it seem like it is cold water.

One other question, is your hot water coming out of the pipe on the left side of the water heater or the right side. If it is not coming out of the left side you hubby could have connected the heater up backwards.

Please let me know if this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Water heater hookup with sidearm supplimental heater [ 0 Answers ]

Hello: I'm hooking up a sidearm heater to an existing electric water heater for use with an outdoor wood furnace. I've seen diagrams showing the upper port of the potable water side hooked up to the anode port, the TPV port, and the cold water inlet port. My initial thought is that plumbing it into...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Reduced water pressure after installation of new water heater (entire house) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We just had a new water heater installed yesterday and the water pressure seems to be reduced (probably 85-90%) of the prior level, through out the entire house. Our old water heater started to leak yesterday AM, had the new one installed that afternoon (40 gallon, 9 year wty, gas: GE...

View more questions Search