Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steichenj2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 07:32 AM
    How much do I feed my 4 month labradoodle?
    I currently feed my 4 month labradoodle 1 cup twice a day. He has it gone with in seconds? Am I feeding him enough?
    gettricey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 10:07 AM

The Australian Labradoodle is not usually a greedy eater. Your puppy should be given as much to eat as he/she wants to eat at every meal. IF YOUR PUPPY IS ALWAYS HUNGRY YOU ARE NOT FEEDING ENOUGH QUANTITY AT EACH MEAL. Yes, I know that it is not good to let a puppy, especially a large one, grow too rapidly, but it is the nutritional value that needs to be monitored, such as too much protein, NOT the QUANTITY of food.

■ If your puppy is gulping down food or trying to snatch food out of your hands then he/she is HUNGRY. During my Doodle Tours I frequently find that many people are measuring and weighing food according to instructions on packets and their dogs and puppies are constantly ravenously hungry.

HOW TO JUDGE IF YOUR PUPPY IS
    UNDER OR OVER WEIGHT

■ Feel your puppy with your fingers. The ribs should be able to be felt, but not seen if the long coated dog is wet. The backbone should not be able to be felt. It should be covered with flesh. The two 'pin bones' on top of the rump, should not be able to be felt. If you can feel the backbone or the pin bones then your dog is too thin. Feed it more!

■ Puppies, just like children, are individuals when it comes to eating. Some will eat more than others and have different likes and dislikes. This is okay, but never leave food down for longer than fifteen minutes! If it is not eaten in this time pick up the bowl and take it away. If you don't waiver and give in, your puppy will learn that food is to be eaten when it is available. Leaving food down all the time teaches a dog to be a 'grazer' and become a picky fussy eater.

Three to Four Months - Three Feeds per Day
    Five to Twelve Months - Two Feeds per Day

Around ten months some dogs will put themselves on a once daily feeding regime by starting to refuse the second meal, others may not. Always be guided by the physical condition of your own particular dog and not by what your friends have found to work with their own dogs.

How To Feed Your Puppy - A Typical Day

8am: Cooked Chicken and vegetable loaf OR a bowl of oatmeal porridge n.b. As the puppy grows older and baby teeth are fully through, the chicken is no longer cooked.

Noon: Fresh raw beef mince with cheese grated over the top OR cooked with rice & garlic

Mid Afternoon : A tablespoonful of plain non sweetened yogurt

Late Afternoon : Fresh raw chicken necks or a Chicken Back

2 x weekly: One teaspoonful of cold pressed Flax Seed Oil

2 to 3 times weekly: Fresh raw baby carrot as a chew toy

Feeding fresh natural food to your dog need not be difficult or expensive! It really easy and inexpensive to add good wholesome natural ingredients to your dog's daily menu. Some vets are against raw fresh food feeding. But it may help to understand that most nutrition training that vets do (if any at all) is sponsored by the Dry Kibble Food Companies.

Dogs are frequently called carnivores (meat only eaters) yet in reality they are omnivores and enjoy fruits, berries, dairy, vegetables and eggs. Try them and see for yourself ! Dogs are not able to extract nutrients from vegetables unless the cellulose is broken down by blending or crushing first, and green peas are difficult for them to digest regardless of how they are fed.

It is the variety in the diet below which prevents loose stools, too - hard stools, and keeps the dog's system healthy on the inside. Pick and Choose from the wide variety of foods below. With such a variety of foods it's so easy! As you prepare the food for your family it's "One for them, one for me.....and one for the dog!"

Use Human Grade fresh meats rather than Pet Food

Chopped or Minced FATTY Beef or Chicken - Human grade takes the worry out of hygiene issues.You can sprinkle grated cheese over the top or add some chicken stock or broth for added flavor.

Human Grade Raw chicken thighs, breasts, legs or wings- If feeding wings, hold one in your fingers while a puppy chews to prevent him 'inhaling' rather than chewing the small object

Raw Chicken Backs - Every scrap will be crunched up and eaten. Provides rich nutrients including calcium/phosphorus in perfect synergy for absorption in the gut. (Chicken Backs are used for soup making)

Veal pieces with bone - Just pop a few in the bowl. Feed outside, in the crate or in laundry to avoid mess in the house. These are veal rib bones. your dog will chew up and devour every morsel.

Beef rib bones -
    Big dogs will chew up every morsel. Small dogs will grind away as much as they can.

Even if you choose to feed dry dog food - kibble - your dog will benefit greatly from any of the above, given twice or three times each week. Strong sparkling white teeth, emotional satisfaction, enjoyable pre-occupation for hours, and calcium/minerals in perfect synergy are the benefits! Feed fresh raw foods at a different meal time than kibble. Different digestive acids and juices are produced by the body to digest kibble than are produced to digest whole fresh foods.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 24, 2008, 11:36 AM

I would NEVER feed my dog chicken bones, or any bones that splinter and she would devour! That can cause serious health problems! Only large bones, like a ham bone, that will not easily splinter. The prior post was quite obviously pasted from another website, and not written by the poster. Also, if you feed your dog anything with garlic, it can only be given in small ammounts, otherwise it can be toxic to your dog.

I think the OP is feeding her pup about the right amount. As long as you check the ingredients in the food you are feeding, and it is high quality nutritional food. I do agree that you might want to give your dog three feedings instead of two at that age. You have to remember, young puppies will normally eat anything and everything, given the chance, in a ravenous way. Your aren't starving your pup, so you are fine.

You can start mixing in boiled chicken with her kibble, half and half. Find the treats that she likes. Some dogs like carrots as a treat, some will turn their noses up. My dog would starve to death before she would touch a carrot. Just experiment, and try and give healthy treats.

Good luck!

EDIT: I also meant to mention, just for safety's sake in case you weren't aware. In addition to garlic, NEVER feed your dog onions, grapes, raisins, chocolate, anything with caffeine, or popcorn. :)
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 06:52 PM

gettricey, I actually appreciate your post a great deal.

When it comes to the best way of feeding dogs, there are a lot of contrasting opinions out there. It's enough to get one's head spinning.

Some people will only go with commercially prepared kibble with the idea is that it has been prepared to fit precisely with the dietary needs of dogs. On the other hand, some people don't trust commercial dog food. One has to be very careful that the brand they're buying hasn't been stocked with fillers, and the quality of dog-grade food is often lacking. This is without adding the nightmarish stories of other things that have found their way into commercial pet food.

Personally, I have stuck with our breeder's recommendations (I have an english cocker puppy). We alternate between probiotic, hypoallergenic kibble and a raw food/home prepared foods diet (for dogs, not people). I have been extremely happy with how our pup has been managing with it, and he's super healthy, bouncing little boy.

Of course, we've also got it easy because he'll loves veggies and fruit. Carrots, string beans, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, apples (no seeds!), pears, persimmons, banana, melon,. and then raw ground beef, turkey breast, chicken breast, fish, raw eggs, chestnuts, salt-less tuscan bread, rinsed rice, corn oil for his coat...

I belong to an english cocker forum, and there are a ton of people there who feed raw chicken wings to their dogs all the time. Make no mistake; they love their dogs, and they're not interested in risking their lives. You have to be careful when feeding anything large enough that they could choke on it, but the things that help are holding the food (as written) or (as I've read, not done, so don't do it unless you research it first!) breaking the pieces up with a hammer.

I tried giving my pup a raw chicken wing (while holding it), but I got scared when it came to the bone part, so I took it away. What I have heard and read many times (including from puppy raising books) is that cooked bones are where the risks come in. cooked bones can splinter and cause a dog to choke or puncture their intestines. Raw bones are not supposed to splinter, and they are supposed to be great for keeping teeth clean and providing a great source of nutrition. I know of some dog professionals who grind their bones up to prevent any possible injury. If you think about it though, you have to wonder what dogs do in nature when they kill an animal. They eat the bones, too.

I think the best thing a dog owner can do is to get informed. I know there are a lot of respected books out there on BARF diets/raw diets/home prepared/human grade diets, and I do think that information is worth considering. AND speak with your vet to make sure that they agree with the plan. Tada.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 09:17 PM
    For sound advice on how much to feed a dog see the sticky at the top of the forum. I don't thing much of the idea of feeding raw chicken. Neither does the AVMA, the FDA, and the CDC. See Raw meat diets spark concern - January 15, 2005
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 26, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    gettricey, i actually appreciate your post a great deal.

when it comes to the best way of feeding dogs, there are a lot of contrasting opinions out there. it's enough to get one's head spinning.

some people will only go with commercially prepared kibble with the idea is that it has been prepared to fit precisely with the dietary needs of dogs. on the other hand, some people don't trust commercial dog food. one has to be very careful that the brand they're buying hasn't been stocked with fillers, and the quality of dog-grade food is often lacking. this is without adding in the nightmarish stories of other things that have found their way into commercial pet food.

personally, i have stuck with our breeder's recommendations (i have an english cocker puppy). we alternate between probiotic, hypoallergenic kibble and a raw food/home prepared foods diet (for dogs, not people). i have been extremely happy with how our pup has been managing with it, and he's super healthy, bouncing little boy.

of course, we've also got it easy because he'll loves veggies and fruit. carrots, string beans, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, apples (no seeds!), pears, persimmons, banana, melon, ... and then raw ground beef, turkey breast, chicken breast, fish, raw eggs, chestnuts, salt-less tuscan bread, rinsed rice, corn oil for his coat...

i belong to an english cocker forum, and there are a ton of people there who feed raw chicken wings to their dogs all the time. make no mistake; they love their dogs, and they're not interested in risking their lives. you have to be careful when feeding anything large enough that they could choke on it, but the things that help are holding the food (as written) or (as i've read, not done, so don't do it unless you research it first!) breaking the pieces up with a hammer.

i tried giving my pup a raw chicken wing (while holding it), but i got scared when it came to the bone part, so i took it away. what i have heard and read many times (including from puppy raising books) is that cooked bones are where the risks come in. cooked bones can splinter and cause a dog to choke or puncture their intestines. raw bones are not supposed to splinter, and they are supposed to be great for keeping teeth clean and providing a great source of nutrition. i know of some dog professionals who grind their bones up to prevent any possible injury. if you think about it though, you have to wonder what dogs do in nature when they kill an animal. they eat the bones, too.

i think the best thing a dog owner can do is to get informed. i know there are a lot of respected books out there on BARF diets/raw diets/home prepared/human grade diets, and i do think that information is worth considering. AND speak with your vet to make sure that they agree with the plan. tada.
    I had to spread the rep Linney, but once again I thank you for the good info. Anything we can do to keep our dogs healthier and keep them with us longer is worth checking into. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What can I feed my 9 month old daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if I can give my 9 month old regular vitamin d milk instead of formula?

How much should I feed my 5 month old baby boy? [ 3 Answers ]

I usually give him 6 to 7 ounces of formula every 3 to 4 hours. Is that too much or too little?

How to feed my 6 month old? [ 5 Answers ]

Right now I'm feeding my baby 32 oz. a day of formula and oatmeal cereal one time every night before she goes to bed. Today, was the first time that I tried 1st stage foods, carrots. She was so disgusted. I didn't want to force it so I stop after the 4th try. My pediatrian said to try one...

Can I feed my 3 month old cow's milk? [ 25 Answers ]

Have a 3 month old and am wondering if I can give him any type of cow's milk, whether it be whole, 2%, etc. I know its not RECOMMENDED, but am wondering what will happen. Thank you.

How much should I feed my 5 month old Lab? [ 1 Answers ]

I feed my 5 month old Lab 2 cups of food each morning, and night. Is that the correct amount? Thanks

View more questions Search