Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ElonGrad97 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Rude Neighbors
    Help!

I have neighbors who continuously invite themselves over to gatherings I have at my house, or gatherings my neighbors have (where we've been invited). This has been going on for 2-3 years now! We've just become close to neighbors on the other side of their house, and if we're over there, the rude neighbors show up, univited, and join in on the food and fun. We've actually started to despise them because of this.

Because they live directly next door to me, and we're on .25 acre lots, confronting them about this is quite uncomfortable. However, I have said that if I have enough liquid courage on board by the time they show up to one of these things that day will come.

It's not that they are terrible people and not okay to hang out with, it's just they have never allowed any of us the chance to say, "hey, come on over". Instead, she's a creep about it... she walks out on her deck, stares for a few minutes, then pics up the kids and heads over! The last gathering was a baby shower for a neighbor she doesn't even know! She joined right in, having cake and drinking our beer.

Oh, and when the kids are over, she allows them to run around unsupervised. And when they get into something they shouldn't (like my crystal biscuit jar), she laughs it off saying "isn't that cute"? No, it's NOT! Neither my friendly neighbors or I have kids.

PLEASE HELP!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2006, 02:57 PM
    These problems and feelings will only get worse!

When shoe shows up, for example, the baby shower, she should be asked by the hostess to leave!

The person who hosts the party should ask them to leave.

Until you say something, this will continue.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 27, 2006, 03:29 PM
    I would probably tell her off if it were me... the longer you wait the worse it is going to get. She probably thinks that this is an OK thing now and that your not going to say anything... When you do I'm sure it's going to be in front of a bunch of people and that it will embarrass her to no end... but I have to agree with the other posts... do it now before it's too late... You and your neighbors could always go over to her house and throw a party in her backyard without being invited... she might get the point then.
    Here_To_Help- Jon Posts: 97, Reputation: 26

Jun 27, 2006, 03:36 PM
    It sounds like you and some other neighbors (the ones on the other side of the baddies) feel this way. Join forces - and I would do something BEFORE your next function... not AT the function. No need for liquid courage (easy for me to say)... tell them you are having an affair on Friday and its private. Period.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Fences make good neighbors.

Of course I don't have a problem speaking my mind. So by the 2nd time they did it, I would tell them directly.
    ElonGrad97 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Oh, trust me, a fence is in the works! Not only does she invite herself over, but she allows her kids to roam into our yard where I have told her before, I do not want the kids playing. I have a dog agility course set up and this equiment is not kid-proof, but totally a kid-attractant. It's a matter of time before someone gets hurt (since they are rarely supervised at 1and 2.

To complicate matters, she's invited us and the neighbors over this weekend for a July 4 party. This is admittingly horrible -- we both want to go just to get back our share of food and drinks, but if we're bored we're going to leave. Should we not go to make a statement, or go to be friendly for a few minutes and leave?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Go, eat their food and drink. If you are bored, fake a headache or something and leave.

And next time they do it to you, say something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful Neighbors... [ 9 Answers ]

Living in CT, what are laws pertaining to neighbors, that play loud music all day long, and musical instruments all hours of the night, to the point where we can't hear the T.V. and the floor is vibrating. This has been a feud since he moved in. Cops were involved before, but nothing came about. ...

Neighbors bushes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem with my neighbors bushes hanging past my property line. This wouldn't be such a big deal except the bushes a very thorny and a huge pain to mow under. If I asked my neighbors to trim them and they don't, is it legal for me to trim them? And how long should I wait for them to do...

Party Animal Neighbors [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a townhouse with a small back yard. My back yard is fenced in. My next door neighbors are a single mother age 37 & her daughter age 18. The mother is never home. The daughter is home alone. The daughter has many parties. Young kids attend the parties, ages 16 through 20. Alcohol...

Party Animal Neighbors [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a townhouse with a small back yard. My back yard is fenced in. My next door neighbors are a single mother age 37 & her daughter age 18. The mother is never home. The daughter is home alone. The daughter has many parties. Young kids attend the parties, ages 16 through 20. Alcohol...

View more questions Search