Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    makdan Posts: 46, Reputation: 3

Nov 24, 2008, 05:39 AM
    gas furnace ignites intermittently-ignites after removing cover from ignitor chamber
    Unit: Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 gas furnace, with an HSI ignitor
    Symptom 1: Thermostat is calling for heat, as evidenced by a flame icon on thermostat face, but no action in the furnace.
    Symptom 2: Ignites only AFTER I initiate Action 2 below. Then it seems to work for a while, until the problem recurs, maybe many hours later.
    Diagnostic LED codes: none
    Action 1: Reset the gas control switch -- no effect
    Action 2: Removed cover from burner compartment. When system is calling for heat, this seems to work -- the HSI soon glows red hot, the gas ignites, and no problem -- for a while. It initially failed Friday night, worked OK most of Saturday and Sunday, but failed again Sunday night. Worked for a few hours Monday morning, but failed again after that.

Recent history: About a month ago, it was also not igniting, flashing LED error code 31 = pressure switch (and some other possible components). Not really sure what "solved" the problem, but it disappeared after playing with the unit for a while, resetting gas control switch, pressing the manual reset limit switch on the side of the burner compartment, etc. Unfortumately, not sure what actually solved the problem -- or if it solved -- because I didn't just do one thing at a time.

Questions:
    1. Is temporarily taking the cover off the burner compartment -- long enough to get it to ignite -- safe?
    2. Any ideas as to what the real problem is?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
    I have no idea what a initial combustion chamber cover is but if there are any wires around it I would be looking for a short circuit or loose wiring. Covers are usually there for a reason so removal of it is probably not a good idea.

You could be having multiple problems since it flashed a 31 code and you never found out what was causing that.
    makdan Posts: 46, Reputation: 3

Nov 24, 2008, 06:07 PM
    By "initial combustion chamber", I meant the burner compartment. See edited language above.

The burner compartment has 2 wires attached to what may be a temperature sensor just inside the compartment, since the cover has a decal that refers to the manual reset limit switch and says it will shut down if the temperature gets too hot.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Yes that is exactly what the control is there for it acts as a safety control. By removing that cover as you call it the control is not overheating and that will allow the unit to run. It is possible the sensor/control is out of range or defective. If that control is causing the problem that would be the first obvious part to replace.

You can test this control by possibly jumping it out of the system on a TEMPORARY basis fir test purposes only. Do not leave the furnace unattended while testing since this is a safety device. By eliminating the control on a temporary basis you will be able to tell if the unit will fire off on multiple tries. Just use the power switch on the side of the furnace to turn the furnace on and off. Test 4 or five times to be sure it is working correctly. REMOVE the jumper after the test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace ignites then shuts down [ 3 Answers ]

When my Goodman furnace (CWP#00299785) turns on, the blower works and the burners ignite, but after a few seconds the burners extinguish. Then the burners ignite again for a few seconds and extinguish once again. Please tell me what part(s) I need and where those parts are located on the furnace....

Carrier 58DHC075 furnace ignites but flame goes out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier natural gas furnace. Model 58DHC075-HC I think it is 92000 BTU. It was made aroung 1990 The furnace ignites OK, but then after a few seconds the flame foes out. I guess this might be due to a faulty flame detector. Is there any way I can be sure of thuis befoire I order a...

Blower ignites but goes out before fan comes on [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: On a nordyne-cmf80-pg-di-n lp gas heater what is causing the blower to ignite,then turn back off before the fan system ingages??

3A fuse blowing after furnace ignites [ 5 Answers ]

'Working on a 10-yr old Goodman GMP050-3. A/C is okay, but no heat. Circuit board and ignitor were just replaced and the flame sensor has been cleaned. The unit comes on, status light solid, ignitor glows, gas comes on and ignites, but after 2-3 seconds the 3A fuse on the board blows.

New thermostat, Furnace ignites fire but no heat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My furnace and thermostat was working fine until two weeks ago. So I replaced the thermostat and the heat started working for the first day then it stopped. I tried to turn up the degrees on the thermostat and I checked the furnace. The electric ignitor was working fine and there was fire...

View more questions Search