Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenita23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Living n Nj and working in Ny
    Hello, I just move to Jersey City, NJ and I work in Manhattan, NY.

I would like to know what taxes do I pay to NY and what do I pay to NJ and what is the by-weekly percentage taken off for each one of these deductions.

Thank yoou
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenita23
    Hello, I just move to Jersey City, NJ and I work in Manhattan, NY.

I would like to know what taxes do I pay to NY and what do I pay to NJ and what is the by-weekly percentage taken off for each one of these deductions.

thank yoou
    Talk to your HR or payroll person. They can tell you what your withholding will be. Tt depends on the number of Deductions you list on your W4. They will also tell you whether you need to have witholding from one or both states. You will only have to pay taxes to one state. You will receive a credit for taxes paid against yout other stae's bill. You will need to file returns for both states.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 27, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Have them withhold ONLY NY state taxes. The NY state tax rate is higher, and NJ will give you a credit for the NY state taxes paid, so the credit will completely offset any NJ taxes owed. In fact, you will probably get a $50 property tax rebate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in NY working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

What type of taxes will I have living in NY and working in NJ? Do I get taxed twice or what? Why do I have to pay taxes in NY if I'm in NJ? Im confused about this whole thing is it worth living in NY and working in NJ?

Living in WV, Working in VA [ 1 Answers ]

I am contemplating taking a job in Virginia. However, I live in WV. Will my employer withhold WV tax and if they don't, how do I have them withheld? Additionally, how do we handle this when we file our annual tax returns? Will I have to file a return for both WV and VA? :confused: Thanks...

Living in jersey working in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I also am about to move to New Jersey and I would like to know what to expect from my taxes. I currently make 36,000 a year and I am married, no kids. Can I add my transportation to my taxes next year given how I will have to use both ny transit (trains) and nj transit?

Living in MD working DE [ 1 Answers ]

In Nov. 2005 I permanently moved form California to Maryland and started a new job right away in DE, while being a resident of MD. My question is do I need to file state taxes for each of these three states separately. The last couple of years I have used Tax Act and Turbo Tax without any...

Living in NY but working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My husband works in NJ but we live in NY. His job sent him so many w-2's it is so confusing. We use taxcut to do our taxes usually. Do we have to enter w-2's separately like one for NY and one for NJ? Or just add them up? Any help would be appreciated. For federal we would have to...

View more questions Search