Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RAM1958 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Is this a HIPAA Violation?
    A counselor who works in the Mental Health population has been openly taking their psychiatric medications in front of co-workers and clients with mental disorders. Is this a violation? What steps are needed to report this? Should someone address it with upper management or file a complaint?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 04:44 PM
    It's not a HIPAA violation is this person is doing it of their own accord. It is not very correct as they are taking their own medication in front of others, but they may be doing it to prove a point.

What makes a HIPAA violation? That would be the healthcare worker revealing the diagnosis or treatment of a patient.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Nov 23, 2008, 05:33 PM

I agree. This is not a HIPPA violation. HIPPA is to Protect the Privacy of Personal Health Information. This means YOUR information.
    She could wear a shirt that says SHE has AIDS. It is HER information.

Now if she told a co worker or another patient that YOU had AIDS, well that would be a different story.

AS for the medication she obviously does not care who knows and if she feels that taking her meds in front of patients that need the same medication, I suppose it would make the patient feel at eaze.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 05:54 PM

Yes, why would it be a problem for someone to take their medication in front of others?? Why is this even an issue to you.

Do you have something against this person ?
    baho Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 03:30 AM

I agree it is not a HIPPA violation. However it may be an ethical issue that could be addressed with the board of social work or psychiatry depending on her license. I however do not think the board would be able to do anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa law violation [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and mother in law went to cvs and ingles pharmacy and without my consent or knowlage were able to get print outs of all my medications for the last year is this not a clear violation of my privacy and the hipaa laws and what can i do do i sue the pharmacys or my husband and mother in law...

HIPAA Violation? [ 24 Answers ]

I am new to this site. I searched for similar situations here but cannot find anything quite like mine so here's my very long situation and question: I use a local chain superstore's pharmacy. Recently I went into the pharmacy and picked up 3 prescriptions that I had left to be filled. I did...

Is this a HIPAA Violation? [ 12 Answers ]

Is it a HIPAA violation if I discussed a pt's care with her family? The mother had tried to kill herself and the daughter was her next of kin. She present when the care was rendered to her mom. All I said was "I was the one who started the IV on your mom" and my supervisor said I could get sued...

Hipaa Violation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe my Hipaa rights have been violated. I have sleep apnea and I recently had a sleep study done as usual follow-up for my condition. The other day in the mail I received a letter from a dentist who was soliciting for business for a dental appliance for people with sleep apnea. In this letter...

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search