Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zipperbeme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Procedures for US collections
    Can someone let me know if a US collection agency must follow Ontario Canada procedures if trying to collect from a Canadian citizen living in Ontario?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Yes, they have to follow Ontario procedures, as they must follow the laws of the land of where you are.

But, how are Ontario procedures different than American ones? I was under the impression they are similar.

Jun 27, 2006, 02:25 PM
    There have been agencies(Ithink) calling disguising themselves as Toronto law firms (with Florida phone numbers) and in Ontario, the company must notify you in writing that the debt was handed to collections.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2006, 02:54 PM
    So then just hang up on these “lawyers”.

Wherever you live, you should always communicate in writing, and not on the phone with them.

Jul 1, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Thanks a lot. I'll keep this in mind if they contact us again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Because collections [ 2 Answers ]

What is the longest that a debt collector has to collect on a loan in BC? What kinds of bearing does the statute of limitations have on this?

Collections [ 1 Answers ]

What is the main difference between associative arrays and nested tables How to choose in pl/sql program Satya:)

Al service conductors... Special Procedures? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I hope you can point me in the right direction. I have seen two references in books to special procedures with Al service conductors. I'm installing 4/0 AL for a 200A service. I understand you have to retourque the terminations a day after installing, and that it's good to use an...

Postoperative procedures [ 1 Answers ]

This may sound like an odd question, but-- When something is removed during surgery-- an appendix, lanryx, tissue, tumors, gallstones-- what specifically do they do with it? Feed it to the dog? Are there different means of disposal for different stuff? Is there some special container...

View more questions Search