Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    choppergirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Can't afford truck payments
    I bought a truck several years ago that I really cannot afford. I have tried to sell it every way I know how (local papers, eBay, on-line, car ads, etc.) to no avail. I've went to numerous car dealerships, both used & new, and they all want to buy the truck (for less than I owe on it) with the condition that I buy another car and/or truck from them! They just don't seem to get it that I am trying to get out of debt, not stay in debt, or get into debt further! I filed bankruptcy 4 years ago, so that is not an option. I owe $12,000 on this truck, and I need to get rid of it. Can someone please help?!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 07:50 AM
    I still think your best option is to sell it for the most you can get from it. Have it detailed inside and out and sell it. Yes, you'll still owe the lender, but unless the difference between the sale price and the balance is huge, then your pain will be short.

What's the best offer you got for it not including the dealers that would only do a trade-in?
    choppergirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 03:13 PM
    I was offered 10,000, which is 2000 short. The bank won't release the title without me coming up with that amount... which, unfortunately I don't have.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2006, 03:17 PM
    You could go and take out a new sepertae 2,000 loan, that way, selling the truck and thereby only owing 2,000
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jul 2, 2006, 02:34 PM
    We spent weeks searching the AutoTrader, want ads and local lots looking for a car for my son. Couldn't believe some of the prices. Unfortunately many vehicles lost a lot of value just driving them off the lot, so it sounds like your truck is over-priced.

Value is what you can sell the truck for, not what you have left to pay off. You may have to sell at a loss, then take out a small personal loan to cover the difference to clear the title.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 2, 2006, 03:14 PM
    Take one of the numerous credit cards up on their offer. I get dozens in the mail. Some even issue checks that can be written to transfer debt at no interest for some fixed period. Read all the fine print and do NOT miss a payment deadline to the credit card company or you'll be starting another thread about Capitol One cards.

Never use the credit card - that part is charged interest and its usually bad. They count on you not having enough discipline not to use it. Pay the truck loan down with the check and then sell it for a breakeven. If you pay the credit card off in time, you'll have had an interest free loan and built up your credit history too! :cool:

The only other option is to refinance the truck longer but plan on taking it in the wallet over interest on a used vehicle loan. Start with who you are presently financed but talk to credit unions too, not banks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2006, 05:16 PM
    Have you checked Edmunds.com or kbb.com to see what the book value of the truck is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Behind on Mortgage Payments [ 3 Answers ]

3 Months behind on Mortgage Payments, credit poor cannot qualify for refinancing, talking to "foreclosure experts" who claim they can work with my lender to stop foreclosure. This is a process called loss mitigation, another company wants to pay off my home and outstanding credit but I would have...

Utilities payments. [ 20 Answers ]

As a new landlord, I developed my own tenant-landlord contract. I wanted the tenant to pay all utilties so I include a phrase that says, "The tenant shall pay all utilities including, but not limited to electrical, telephone, gas and sewer." I am also hooked up to a water meter (one of the...

Afford divorce [ 1 Answers ]

What if she cannot afford a lawyer? Can she get one through a legal aid society?

Royalty Payments [ 0 Answers ]

A manufacturing is going to pay royalty payments each month to another company. What type of account should be set up for the royalty payments? Should it just be called royalty payments and be listed on the income statement as a deduction to sales?

View more questions Search