Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kathyintexas Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Infection in fingers
    My 87 year old mother-in-law has a VERY painful infection in the middle finger of her right hand. She has seen all kinds of doctors but nothing in helping. She has taken anti-biotics and fungus medications, and it is getting worse. The pain is almost unbearable. She had the same thing in her left hand from March until Sept. of this year and it has almost cleared up (the doc finally removed that fingernail), and now it is on her left hand. She cannot use that hand at all now, because of the pain. It is swollen and feverish. It is near the nail. We are at a loss of what to do next. They say it is not Staph or a fungus. She has some heart problems (pacemaker) but is otherwise healthy, but this is causing her severe depression and loss of weight because she cannot cook or hold a fork well. PLEASE HELP if anyone has any suggestions. All common sense treatments have failed.

Nov 24, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion (of going back to the same doc who treated her before). We've done that. He wants to "wait and see". In the meantime, she is in excruiating pain and it seems to be getting worse. The entire end of her finger today is white (as though no bloodflow is getting to it), from the last knuckle down, and the pain is unbearable. She is having to take lots of pain medication, which makes her drowsy and unsteady, which is NOT good for an 87 year old woman. She is starting to say things like "maybe they should just amputate it". It is just awful to see her hurting so bad.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 09:16 AM

First suggestion: Get the nail removed

Second suggestion: Find someone who is willing to take a culture and have it sent out to be grown and identified. Once it's identified, it can be treated.

Third suggstion: Find out if there are hospitals such as John's Hopkins which can work on the problem.

There are generally two different type of pathogens. Bacterial and Fungal. If bacterial the treatment is usually antibiotics (injection, IV and oral). If Fungal then it's steroids and provide an environment so it can heal, like removing a nail.

The most effective antibiotic is selected based on knowing what it is.

The bahavior of the medical professionals is insane.

Nov 24, 2008, 05:31 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. A culture has been taken and we've been told "nothing shows up". She has been on numerous different types of antibiotics with no results, other than she developed a severe yeast infection in her throat, which we then had to treat! She has also taken anti-fungal medications with no results. We were told today to try the dermatology department at the nearest medical school (there is one 120 miles away) so we're going to contact them and see what they say.
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 06:13 PM

That's the idea.
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 09:43 PM

Check this out too:

Dermatologic Disorders: Merck Manual Professional
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Nov 24, 2008, 10:30 PM

Is there pus underneath the skin? If there is I had a problem like that and they lanced it in the office.

Nov 25, 2008, 06:35 PM

No, there's no pus. They lanced the other finger and nothing came out. Now my sister-in-law says one of the doctors has said it might be a blood clot in the end of her finger. I think he's grasping at straws.
    Joey G Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Hi Kathy,

Just curious, did anybody bother ordering an x-ray? Bone infections (Osteomyelitis) can occur and if not diagnosed and treated can have devastating outcome. Sometimes we also get bone scans. What bothers me is your description of the tip of the finger being "white" and that could mean that there is vascular compromise, meaning that there is circulation issue. A doppler study maybe indicated to that finger but before anything else, have your mom evaluated again. It is hard sometimes to base it on description as opposed to actually seeing the patient. Hope this helps. Joey

Nov 28, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Kathy,

There is also a painful infection that usually occurs at the tip of the finger and it is called a "Felon". Usually the only treatment for this is a wide fishmouth incision we call it and not every doctor are comfortable in doing this procedure. I certainly would get opinions from other health professionals, so that appropriate care can be given to your mom in law. If she happens to have an infection, I mean a more complicated issue, like the ones I mention in my first post, then a Hand Surgeon can be consulted.

Nov 30, 2008, 12:38 PM

Thank you so much, Joey. I will try to get that done. No one has suggested that it might involve the bone.

Dec 1, 2008, 07:37 PM
    I would be interested in what your mother in laws doctors think the diagnosis is, given all the symptoms, etc. Thank you.

Dec 5, 2008, 08:07 AM

My sister-in-law took her to another doctor who is now saying it may be a blood clot in the end of her finger, due to poor circulation.

Dec 6, 2008, 12:31 AM
    Kathy,

If you look at one of my postings, I did mentioned the worrisome "whitish appearance of your mother in laws" fingers may mean circulatory issue. There is a study called digital arterial doppler that may be indicated, to check on circulation. You can ask the doctor if they are considering that. Just a thought.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lighten fingers [ 2 Answers ]

Help I have a serious problem with my fingers they seem to have gone really dark very different from my complexion any suggestions

Fingers Crossed [ 14 Answers ]

Fingers crossed out there. Second round of Clomid, and sex on days 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20. Love the even numbers hey! But, taking the advice of everyone seriously not to do it every single day, every other day. You know when you just want to know the answer to a question, and it’s...

Numb arm and fingers [ 3 Answers ]

I am a 41 year old male.. I get a pain in my left shoulder that is very painful.. it makes my arm go to sleep.. now my thumb, index finger and middle finger are numb all the time.. when the pain in my shoulder starts my shoulder blade pushes out a little.. the pain in my shoulder comes and goes...

Fingers crossed! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok... I may be just getting excited too soon... which I often do but something new is going on... yesterday I noticed when I went to the bathroom that I had a light pink discharge... but it was only when I used the bathroom... then last night I had some very light spotting... I am an 8 day heavy...

View more questions Search