Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    girlsmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 11:33 PM
    Does adultery affect child physical custody?
    Hi there! Never been here before. I live in California and would like to know if there is a chance a judge would consider my husband's infidelity in determining our girls' physical custody. We are still married, he moved out of the house moved in with a woman who is still married herself, she has her own 3 kids. He would take our girls on outings with this woman while he was still living with me, without my knowledge of course,and the girls were under the impression this was his cousin. Now that he lives with her he insists that they go over to their house and even wants them to spend the weekend. He has not mentioned divorce, but I am in the process. My girls know the truth about this now, but because they are only 9 and 6 they don't seem to really understand how bad of an example this is for them. I really don't want my girls exposed to them together like that (unless they married, of course) or at least until after our divorce is final but he is totally adamant. Is there hope for me out there? I just feel like this is all incredibly damaging to our little girls... thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom View Post
    Hi there! Never been here before. I live in California and would like to know if there is a chance a judge would concider my husband's infidelity in determining our girls' physical custody. We are still married, he moved out of the house moved in with a woman who is still married herself, she has her own 3 kids. He would take our girls on outings with this woman while he was still living with me, without my knowledge of course,and the girls were under the impression this was his cousin. Now that he lives with her he insists that they go over to their house and even wants them to spend the weekend. He has not mentioned divorce, but I am in the process. My girls know the truth about this now, but becouse they are only 9 and 6 they don't seem to really understand how bad of an example this is for them. I really don't want my girls exposed to them together like that (unless they married, of course) or at least until after our divorce is final but he is totally adamant. Is there hope for me out there? I just feel like this is all incredibly damaging to our little girls...thank you

Unless you can prove the children are somehow being emotionally damaged, no, at least in NY adultery has nothing to do with custody or, for that matter, support, either child or spousal. Have you consulted with a therapist or Court-appointed law guardian of the children?

You presumably have an Attorney handling your divorce and that Attorney is familiar with all the facts and circumstances as well as the Laws - that's the person who should be addressing this issue.

Unfortunately (I'm an investigator) I get asked to do these investigations on a very regular basis (talk to neighbors, talk to friends, get proof of adultery) and when it comes right down to the Court hearings it makes no difference at all - legally. Is your "X" pond scum? Possibly. Does the legal system care? No.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 10:23 AM

Sometimes it can be considered when one is going for primary custody. It shows a lack of good judgement. But other then that unless your ex is dating someone that is harmfull to your children then on his time he can do as he pleases unless you have a parenting plan that states otherwise.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom View Post
    Hi there! Never been here before. I live in California and would like to know if there is a chance a judge would concider my husband's infidelity in determining our girls' physical custody. We are still married, he moved out of the house moved in with a woman who is still married herself, she has her own 3 kids. He would take our girls on outings with this woman while he was still living with me, without my knowledge of course,and the girls were under the impression this was his cousin. Now that he lives with her he insists that they go over to their house and even wants them to spend the weekend. He has not mentioned divorce, but I am in the process. My girls know the truth about this now, but becouse they are only 9 and 6 they don't seem to really understand how bad of an example this is for them. I really don't want my girls exposed to them together like that (unless they married, of course) or at least until after our divorce is final but he is totally adamant. Is there hope for me out there? I just feel like this is all incredibly damaging to our little girls...thank you
    Easy answer: NO. NO, NO, NO. NEVER. IRRELEVANT. This is not only irrelevant to your case, any judge who considered it in making a custody award would be subject to an immediate reversal on appeal for abuse of discretion. We have no fault divorce in California (since 1970) and have extensive case law (older stuff from the 1970's) that says these sorts of moral concerns cannot be brought up and are irrelevant. You can be sanctioned in court for even mentioning this (i.e. subject to a monetary fine).

If your husband were gay and moved in with his boyfriend it would still be irrelevant and would have no effect on custody (there's case law on that too).

You are entitled to hold whatever personal moral views you want but keep in mind feelings about the "immorality" of adultry or extramarital affairs are not universally accepted and will have no impact on custody (I've had many clients try to bring this up and have had to counsel them about the way we view the matter in court).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to find out if a long time ago criminal record would affect child custody [ 9 Answers ]

I have currently proposed to a woman whom has a child by a man that she was never married to. He left her years ago when he found out she was pregnant by him. They were in a committed relationship and he knew she wanted get married and have at least one child. He had told her this was what he...

Want to get joint physical custody of child [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is Danielle. I have a husband named Robert and a toddler at home. My husband has a child from a previous relationship and has paid child support for the child his whole life. He has also been involved in the child's life, at least as much as she woul let him. I do not know how to say...

Shared Physical Custody and Child Support [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband and I have a current child support order where he pays me $130 a week, which was lower than a typical child support order if I was the only custodial parent. We have shared physical custody so we reduced the amount of the order. Is there a guideline for shared physical custody...

How can I regain physical custody of a child I haven't seen in 6 months? [ 13 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend has manipulated our teenaged daughter into thinking that she is not wanted by me. Currently, we have joint custody with physical custody going to him, but he has violated the agreement by putting her in a group home and NOT telling me along with other violations. The only reason I...

Can I get child support with joint physical custody in MA? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced for several years. When I was divorced, my husband and I were making roughly the same amount of money and he insisted on joint physical custody. Two years ago I was laid off and my income dropped by more than 40% when I finally found another job. I didn't think I was...

View more questions Search