Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mr KroBars Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Can't delete file, even with no programs running
    I was downloading my favorite song and its remixs when I noticed a 5000kb file downloaded instantly (limewire)

I then tried to play the mp3 file and it wouldn't play, so I'm trying to delete it and my PC is telling me that a "person or program is currently using the file"

I can't delete this gotdam virus and my PC has really slowed down a lot, please help me :(
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 12:39 AM

Shutdown your computer.

Disconnect the internet from your computer.

Reboot.

Delete your suspicious file.

Recommendation: Uninstall Limewire.

Reconnect your internet.
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 26, 2008, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr KroBars View Post
    I was downloading my favorite song and its remixs when i noticed a 5000kb file downloaded instantly (limewire)

I then tried to play the mp3 file and it wouldnt play, so im trying to delete it and my pc is telling me that a "person or program is currently using the file"

I can't delete this gotdam virus and my PC has really slowed down a lot, please help me :(
    What they said, LOL. If after all that, your system is still really slow etc... check this out:

avast! - Download antivirus software for spyware and virus protection

It's a great free anti-virus program. Free to home users, but business users must pay.

After it's installed it will ask you if you want it to run a scan after the system reboots. Click NO. Because the virus database won't update until you do it manually after the reboot. Once updated, then run a standard scan.
    mdbacon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Yeah avast is a great program.. but so many people overlook another great free program that allows you to delete any file that is in use without a reboot

Its called unlocker:
    UNLOCKER 1.8.7 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB

I know that site sounds weird but I've used the programs many times on files that wouldn't delete even after reboots and virus scanners couldn't even move them after install just right click the file and select unlocker from the menu and from there its easy,if that doesn't work then the file could be corrupted and there is no way to delete it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't delete .dll file [ 5 Answers ]

I downloaded Thunderbird 1.6.0 after much delays and restarts. Tried to install it But got a 'pop-up' from 7-ZIP "Unspecified error." I don't use 7-ZIP but it is on my machine. Tried to delete it but was denied as "it was in use." I nibbled at the files, deleting each segment one by one. Got it...

Programs running in background [ 2 Answers ]

How do I determine what programs are running in the background and how do I turn them off? Are these the same as the things listed under Processes in the Windows Task Manager?

Programs running in background [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I am a computer idiot so I figured I would reach out for a little help. I know that I have a bunch of crap running in the background bogging down my computer. I looked at my "Processes" tab on the task manager and I have 54 items listed and it is using up a good amount of memory. Many of these...

Programs Running In Background (Windows XP) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lot of programs already automatically running in the background when I log on to Windows, what program can I use to choose what programs automatically run when I log onto Windows? Or is there already one on Windows? Thanks.

Can't delete dll file [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I can't delete ssqpnon.dll file from C:\WINNT\system32 dir, it's infected, while trying it came up with a message "is used by other program"!! Can anybody suggest something?:confused:

View more questions Search