Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fkennedy8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Converting from gas to electric heat
    I currently have gas heat. Would it be more cost effective to covert to electric heat?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2008, 07:49 PM

Taking in consideration;

1) How much is it going to cost to replace the existing system.

2) How much is the new system going to use(KWH)

3) How much is a KWH in your area,and has it been stable for the past few years?

These are research questions for you.

KBC
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Also you cannot convert your present furnace from gas to electric BUT you can by a new high efficiency gas furnace and that will save you some $$$ on your heat bill.

OR you can buy a heat pump with an electric furnace and also save some $$$ on your utility bill.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2008, 09:51 PM

,, instructions on converting gas furnace to electric furnace,,
    1. remove gas furnace
    2. replace with electric furnace.
    3.before considering this swap-out,be sure you take into consideration that you are going to need somewhere around 60 to 80 amps more of electric usage from your electric breaker box,, some breaker boxes arn`t big enough to handle it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting from electric to forced heat [ 2 Answers ]

I have baseboard electric heat and am going to convert to forced heat. What will have to be done to convert over to this. Will I also have to upgrade my air condition unit. It is old and I would like to so should I do it all at one time. I honestly don't know jack about this subject. Thanks. ...

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey and plan on installing a Solar Electrical Power system in my new home. Although I understand the Gas Heat is more efficient, if I will generating my own electrical power, I would want to consider converting my Gas heat to Electric to save on the increasing price of my Gas...

Advantages of converting from propane heat to electric heat for home use [ 1 Answers ]

When is it an advantage to convert from propane heat to electric heat in a residential home? Also could you give me a rough idea of what it costs to make this transition? Thank you. :confused:

Converting from gas to electric heat. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a rental property that has gas heat. I would like to convert it to electric because of the high price of gas in the VA area. On average, how costly and difficult would this be? It is a carrier heat pump.

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I'm buying a home in southern WV which is gas heated and has electric a/c. The current owners pay $123 and $35 per month respectfully on the budget plan which seems way out of kilter to me. Notwithstanding the individual user differences and that the price of electricity here is way less...

View more questions Search