Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whyyyyy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 06:53 PM
    What is the formula for square footage for painting a room?
    I need to know exactly how to figure of rooms for painting.Do you measure the height and width of each wall and add them to the ceiling? Thank you.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2008, 07:39 PM

are you painting the ceiling too? If you measure the height of the wall and the width of that same wall and multiply them that gives you the square footage of the wall. So you would have to do that for all walls in the room depending on the shape. So say your wall is 8 feet high and it's 12 feet wide, 8x12=96 square feet for one wall. If you have two walls that same size then 96x2. And then do the same thing for the other walls. I hope I didn't confuse you. Let me know if you have questions.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 10:06 PM

I'm good at mathing. Lol
    cynthiabolick Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 04:01 PM

I've owned a painting company for over ten years. Measurement is not the only question to answer when bidding. For residential repaints you consider the color, remember dark colors take extra coats, so bidding by the square foot is unreasonable. In my area, the typical cost per square foot is $1.50 a square. Ceilings are additional. Length times width is your square. Typically this price includes, materials and two coats on the walls. Other important factors in determining cost is if you are painting the trim and the type of paint you are using.
    cynthiabolick Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 04:10 PM
    I misquoted the average interior cost per square. Sorry! The correct professional cost per interior square has been $3.50 for typical interiors for over ten years, this includes the cost of materials, labor and includes any trim in the room. Most often it includes ceilings with the exception of wood ceilings; I charge more for them. The cost for custom work can range as much as $5.50 a square.
    Zahnow90 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2012, 06:37 PM
    The square footage of a room for painting and doing the wood work too

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square Footage measurement. [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to get the correct square footage of living space for a home? What measurements should I take to compile this number? And what areas do not come into consideration? Thanks. Dave.

Square footage [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house. It was just what we wanted and our realtor assisted in finding it and successfully negotiated the deal. We had the house inspected and the mortgage company is fine with everything. The house is on MLS as 2000 square feet but in fact is about 1800. We don't really care as the...

Walk-out Bsmt as Square Footage [ 4 Answers ]

My walk-out basement has several large windows (32x50) above grade and a door leading to two steps to the door to the yard. The area is finished and heated and cooled with another staircase leading to the kitchen. We are relocating and the appraiser won't base upon 1916 sq ft to include the bsmt....

Square footage [ 6 Answers ]

How do I calculate the square footage of a room

Square Footage [ 4 Answers ]

Hoe do I correctly determin the square footage of a property?

View more questions Search