Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mojo513 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Lawn mower will not crank, begins to crank and locks up.
    I try starting my lawnmower (Craftsman DLT 3000, 18.5 HP), the engine starts to crank and locks up. I remove the spark plug and engine keeps cranking. When I put the spark plug back in the engine begins to crank and locks up. I can manually turn back the pully cover on top the engine and the engine begins to crank and then lock up. Any ideas?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Hi,
    I will assume that this mower has a Briggs V-Twin on it. The problem is most likely the valve adjustment, particularly the intake valves as these are the ones that the decmpression works on. The valve covers are each held on by four bolts and must be removed. The rockers arms nearest the top are the intake. Thelocking set screws within the pivot nut must be loosened(T-20 Torx) and the adjust made to 0.005 in. with the piston of that side 1/4" past TDC.
    Tighten everything down and reassemble and crank it up!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mower will not crank over [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 15.5 Tecumseh riding mower. Last summer it had gotten where I would have to turn by hand the fly wheel screen to bypass the compression stroke so the starter would crank the engine. Before I came to this trick I replaced the battery then later the starter with little to no effect....

Gas pouring out air filter, lawn mower won't crank [ 3 Answers ]

My mom has a Snapper, 15hp Kohler engine. The last time she mowed the grass it ran fine. She turned it off for about an hour and it wouldn't crank again. Gas poured out of the air filter. Later, she got it running but for only a few minutes and it shut down. Could it have something to do with...

John Deere 175 Hydro Lawn Mower - Won't Start or Crank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a John Deere Hydro 175 Lawn Mower riding lawn mower. Just replaced the battery about a month ago, but now the engine won't crank at all. Will start if I jump it from the car, but won't keep running. If I try to engage the blades, it poops out. Any suggestions.

View more questions Search