Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Steering wheel shake
    Hi:

I've got an 07 Ford Taurus which was a rental return. Ever since I got it it's had a shake in the steering wheel at about 60mph (goes away at about 70 or above or below 50). It's been in to the dealer (when under warranty) and they couldn't find anything wrong. I also had it to another place that couldn't find anything wrong. I've had it aligned and new times put on and balanced but it doesn't help. Any ideas what's wrong?
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Nov 22, 2008, 01:31 PM

Are your tires new or fairly new? Are they properly balanced?
    If they are old tires, then this could be a sign of possible blowout,(personal experience). If they aren't properly balanced the shaking will also occur, also personal experience.
    Also, if the tread on the tires aren't equally worn, this too could account for the shaking. Shaking is NOT a normal part of any vehicle to my knowledge. My father is a retired mechanic, and was very good at what he did.
    If I were you, I'd take it somewhere you trust and have them do a complete check on it. Axles, driveline, brakes, tires, all of it. If you have a personal friend that is a mechanic that has a few hours, this would be the route I would go, unless you have the money to take it to a shop to have them diagnose the problem. Also, have them check motor mounts, transmission, etc.
    Good luck
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
    Are your tires new or fairly new? Are they properly balanced?
    If they are old tires, then this could be a sign of possible blowout,(personal experience). If they aren't properly balanced the shaking will also occur, also personal experience.
    Also, if the tread on the tires aren't equally worn, this too could account for the shaking. Shaking is NOT a normal part of any vehicle to my knowledge. My father is a retired mechanic, and was very good at what he did.
    If I were you, I'd take it somewhere you trust and have them do a complete check on it. Axles, driveline, brakes, tires, all of it. If you have a personal friend that is a mechanic that has a few hours, this would be the route I would go, unless you have the money to take it to a shop to have them diagnose the problem. Also, have them check motor mounts, transmission, etc.
    Good luck
    Thanks for your reply.

All I can think of is the hubcaps are the cheap version with these little bolt things that don't stay bolted. But the wheel cover stays on with some clips anyway. I'm thinking if the wheel cover moves around a little that might throw off the balance but not being a mechanic I don't know how likely that is to be a problem.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    .... if the wheel cover moves around a little that might throw off the balance ....
    If you've had an alignment done, and new tires (4?) put on and balanced, but the problem still exsists, you need to have the actual wheels (bent or not centering) and supension (tie-rod ends and ball joints, etc) inspected. The wheel covers won't have enough mass to throw the balance out at such a specific road speed.
    If those items all check out, the wobble may be from unbalance brake or driveline components; i.e.: brake rotor that lost a balance weight or drive axle that lost a balance weight.
    Tracking down the culprit may be tricky but with patience, a good tech could find it quickly.
    Good luck!
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    If you've had an alignment done, and new tires (4?) put on and balanced, but the problem still exsists, you need to have the actual wheels (bent or not centering) and supension (tie-rod ends and ball joints, etc) inspected. The wheel covers won't have enough mass to throw the balance out at such a specific road speed.
    If those items all check out, the wobble may be from unbalance brake or driveline components; i.e.: brake rotor that lost a balance weight or drive axle that lost a balance weight.
    Tracking down the culprit may be tricky but with patience, a good tech could find it quickly.
    Good luck!
    Thanks so much for your reply.

The wheel shake is one of those things that drives me crazy.

Yeah, the alignment is not the problem nor balancing, and the two tires are new on the front (I replaced them thinking they might be the problem). When I took the car to the first shop they supposedly checked everything out but the tech couldn't find the problem and recommened I take it to the Ford dealer. When I did, they couldn't figure it out either--they tried to convince me it was all in my head ! (like a hypochondric you goes to the doctor all the time and they tell him it's in his head-- isn't that hilarious?) I told the guys at the dealer that I've driven other cars that don't do that so I know I'm not crazy.

Finally I just gave up and have been driving it ignorning the problem but it really is annoying. I'll keep looking for a good shop to try to solve the mystery. The wheel covers I thought might be the problem but I wasn't sure. I suspected they weren't heavy enough to throw off the balance so as to cause the shake, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Steering wheel tremor [ 9 Answers ]

This ones for any mechanics out there. I recently bought a car, and when travelling at 65mph the steerin wheel starts to wobble uncontolably, and the tremoring gets more violent with increasing speed. What does this mean and would it reduce traction on the road? Thanks a lot

Steering Wheel and Ignition [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I just bought a really cheap 1990 Chevy Beretta. Seems to go fine but the steering is really tight and seems messed with, and the ignition is shot, I put the key in and have to almost force it out. How much do you think it would run me to get these both replaced. Also for some reason the...

Steering wheel and key locks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My brand new 2006 Toyota Matrix (which I really enjoy) started giving me problems when I try to turn the key on, it stays locked. I also noticed that my steering wheel is also locked like when you turn it and the car is off. It's the second time it does this to me. It is not the normal...

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

View more questions Search