Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saifon89 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 09:35 AM
    How much time does these charges bring
    Hey everyone just joined like 30mins ago and was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of jail time can a person get with Financial Card Theft, Possession of Stolen Goods/Property (felony, can that be reduced to a misdemeanor?) & Financial Card Fraud (misdemeanor). At the moment they are serving time for their probation violation & all this is occurring in North Carolina. I know nothing of the law since I have never been in trouble, so I apologize if these questions aren't detailed enough. I just was wondering if anyone could give me an estimated time on each charge or refer me to a website that would help. Many people know how hard it is to lose a loved one to foolish decisions so please serious answer only. Thank you and greatly appreciate the help.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by saifon89 View Post
    Hey everyone just joined like 30mins ago and was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of jail time can a person get with Financial Card Theft, Possession of Stolen Goods/Property (felony, can that be reduced to a misdemeanor?) & Financial Card Fraud (misdemeanor). At the moment they are serving time for their probation violation & all this is occurring in North Carolina. I know nothing of the law since I have never been in trouble, so I apologize if these questions arent detailed enough. I just was wondering if anyone could give me an estimated time on each charge or refer me to a website that would help. Many people know how hard it is to lose a loved one to foolish decisions so please serious answer only. Thank you and greatly appreciate the help.

Why is the person on probation? The past record DOES matter.

It's almost impossible to know - certainly probation has been violated so the original sentence could be imposed. Or was the original sentence imposed because of the violation and that's why this person is in jail? I think a good Attorney could make a difference here, particularly in reducing the felony to a misdemeanor - if the Court will play Let's Make a Deal.

Don't apologize - you only learn by asking and, yes, you're in a hard place when you're trying to keep a loved one on the straight and narrow.

Sorry the answer is so vague but there are just so many variables.

Any circumstances that would be at play here?

EDIT: I forgot to say welcome to the board.

Nov 22, 2008, 10:23 AM

I believe he was on probation for worthless checks & larceny both class 1 misdemeanors. He violated his probation by not continuing to pay off his fines I believe, not sure and I guess not informing his probation officer about going out of town to work until he was actually out of the state. By the way thanks for your answer Judy^^
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Hello s:

Like Judy said, it's impossible to tell. I know you're trying to give us enough information, but even if you did, we're not the judges. If it were that easy, we could fire all the judges and just look it up in a book.

So, it could be bad - or it could be VERY BAD. It's not written in stone. The single most determining factor, would be the quality of his lawyer - NOT the stuff you're thinking about. So, there ARE things you can do to effect how much time he actually gets.

excon

Nov 22, 2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks excon^^ You said "there are things I can do to effect how much time he actually gets"... what do you mean by that.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by saifon89 View Post
    what do you mean by that.
    Hello again, s:

Hire the best lawyer you can.

excon

Nov 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, s:

Hire the best lawyer you can.

excon
    ah okay, I'm so young I don't know much about all this stuff lol. Thanks again =D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 03:49 PM

OK, for crimes that are misdemeanors he can get up to one year in jail. Normally they would serve that at the same time, So for the current crimes most likely one year in jail.

He will most liekly have to serve the rest of his probation time in jail.
    This is where it gets tricky, they may not start his new sentence until he gets out of jail on the old charge, or he may get to serve all the time together. That will be up to the deal his attorney makes for him

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I bring back the old us? Bring back the long convo's and the activeness? [ 6 Answers ]

Bman 800 here call me bryan OK I've been dating the love of my life for almost six months and I have nown her for about a year now and I think the relationship is getting tired I am NOT breaking it off we love each other more than anything in the world she lost her virginity to me... I unfortunetly...

What is going on? Did I bring this upon myself? [ 22 Answers ]

Can someone help me? On may 22nd, my boyfriend broke up with me. It was the worst day of my life. I still love him so much. But its so hard for me to talk to him because I don't want him to see how much I still love him. I'm always here for him, and he knows it but he doesn't appreciate what I do...

Should I bring it up? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I am rather new to this site, and honestly not entirely sure on how helpful, or even how to post properly, so I guess I'll wing it. My girlfriend and I have been going out for about 7 months, and the topic of sex has only come up once, about two months ago. What I would like to know, is,...

Time Sensitive issue regarding fraud charges [ 2 Answers ]

I know, I know this is going to start like you have all heard before, but I swear I am a concerned friend. A buddy of mine was fired from his job forging documents of Non existent companies and than stealing materials to paint some guys cars (the guys are drug dealers whom yes my buddy did this...

What's the time limit for filing charges on someone writing a bad check [ 4 Answers ]

How long do you have to make charges against some for writing a bad check. It was a family member and I wasn't trying to go to court but she refuse to pay it's been a year and she's about to move out of the state.

View more questions Search