Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Nov 21, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Dog food.
    I am so mad right now. Odin, my new puppy, has been fed Science Diet since he's been able to eat dog food. When I hear "science diet" I think of something nutritious. This is not the case after further investigation. Might I add I already bought 20 pounds after reading this.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1028&cat=all

I've always been taught the first five ingredients are the main ingredients in the product.

• Ground Whole Grain Corn
    • Chicken By-Product Meal
    • Soybean Meal
    • Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid)
    • Dried Beet Pulp

That is not right. I don't want to feed this crap to him. I wouldn't even eat it. It's filled up with fillers and by products. I feel horrible feeding this to him, but he seems to like it. How do dog food companies get away with this?

What should I do with 20 pounds of dog food that is made from complete crap? Also, what do you feed your dog(s)?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 21, 2008, 10:48 PM

It's funny that Science Diet is at the top of the list of what vet's usually recommend. I'm going to have to do some more research myself. I feed my dog fresh boiled chicken breasts mixed with Purina One. She gets one large chicken breast a day. A small meal in the daytime, and then the larger portion in the evening. Cesar Milan feeds his dogs a mixture of chicken breasts and quality dried food, although I haven't looked into what brand he uses.

Take the food to a shelter! It's better than nothing when they are low on food. A hungry dog would rather have something, rather than a little of nothing. I'm sure the shelter dogs would be grateful!

Nov 25, 2008, 11:04 AM

Science diet seems to be like generic store brand dog foods; fillers, sugar, and by-product.

Really, the only dog food I found at petco that didn't have fillers and sugar in their top five ingredients was wellness. Can anyone speak for this?

I really wouldn't feel comfortable feeding Odin human food on a regular basis. I'm not educated very well on nutrition needs and other specifications he needs as a small/medium breed or as a puppy. I especially do not want to pork him up. On top of that animal blood makes me gag, so if it's not cooked/cleaned I can't work with it well. And to think my mom grew up on a farm. Hah.

You know, that's a brilliant idea. I'm sure the shelter down the street/across the river would love 30 pounds of dog food!
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Nov 25, 2008, 07:33 PM

I use Ultra Holistic by Nutro. After reading this thread I wanted to see what the first ingredients listed were. They are
    Chicken Meal
    Whole Brown Rice
    Ground Rice
    Lamb Meal
    Rice Bran
    Soybean Oil
    Poultry Fat
    Salmon Meal
    Flaxseed

Any opinions?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 25, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teachnk View Post
    I use Ultra Holistic by Nutro. After reading this thread I wanted to see what the first ingredients listed were. They are
    Chicken Meal
    Whole Brown Rice
    Ground Rice
    Lamb Meal
    Rice Bran
    Soybean Oil
    Poultry Fat
    Salmon Meal
    Flaxseed

Any opinions?
    I have never actually heard of it. Where do you get it, and what is the price range if you don't mind? I know it will vary in different areas. I'm in Canada, and not sure where you live, but it would be nice to check it out!
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Nov 26, 2008, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    I have never actually heard of it. Where do you get it, and what is the price range if you don't mind? I know it will vary in different areas. I'm in Canada, and not sure where you live, but it would be nice to check it out!
    It is usually for sale everywhere Nutro is. I'm in South Florida and they have it at Petsupermarket, Petsmart and I am pretty sure it was at Petco. I believe I pay about $22 for a 20lb bag. My Nikki (rottie mix) is a nervous girl and she was having issues (loose stools) with several brands, but this one seems to keep her stomach settled and her waste small & firm. If only food could calm her nerves/fears. :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 26, 2008, 04:49 AM

Oh yes, I forgot. You have your Nikki, and I have my Niki. I will check it out and see if they have it at our Petco. The price isn't bad at all! If I can't find it here, my parents live in FL. so they could check into it for me there too, and maybe even bring some home for me when they come back here. You just never know the price difference between Canada and the US sometimes. I like the list of ingredients though, so I will give it a try. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 09:14 PM
    Nonsense, nonsense. There is nothing wrong with Science Diet or the other common brands given low ratings by dog food analysis. Their ratings are all based on speculation without a shred of science to back them up.

Nov 27, 2008, 12:10 AM

Really? I was in such a frenzy about it.

Do the grains have any nutritional value to them?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Many dog chows contain rice. Dogs digest much of the carbohydrates in it. They also digest much of, but not all of the protein in corn. I think most of those saying otherwise know they are making untrue statements.
    1dana1209 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 09:07 PM
    I have a pit and she 6wks . What kind of food and milk 2 give her:)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 09:11 PM

No milk, dogs are lactose intolerant!

As for food, it's Iams is pretty good, not as much filler as most other brands. Also Science Diet is highly recommended.

Just make sure to go with puppy food for at least the first year. :)
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 09:44 PM

I also feed my puppy Nutro. She was pooping a lot and that's because the ground corn is just a filler. Now there's less to clean up in the backyard. You can actually get a bag of Nutro- I think what I have is Nutro- Max for about the same price as the other brands of dog food.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Food invention (registration of a food product?) [ 12 Answers ]

I have thought up a good idea for a new food product and would like to offer it to a company, but to do that (I was informed by my dad) I need proof that this idea is mine so no one can steal it and such, registration of a food product? I need to know how to go on to this. A website perhaps? Please...

Food poisoning, or Food allergy? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. Greetings first of all. Well, see, on Tuesday morning I felt fine, nothing seemed to be wrong. Went to work at a restaurant, 3 hours cause it's split shift. Came back home and was supposed to go back to work at 5pm. Right around that time I started to feel bloated, and had lots of gas. Then...

Dry food or wet food for puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got an 8 week old Daschund puppy and I'm not sure if I should give him wet food or dry food? Thank You. :confused:

New food/old food/keep it the same or change? [ 4 Answers ]

Our cat has been acting a little weird lately, over the past week we have noticed that he doesn't seem to be eating the same as he did. Over the last week he will get excited that its feeding time, then I put his bowl down for him and he will lick his meat until all the jelly? Is gone off the meat...

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

View more questions Search