Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjoz Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Troy Bilt Self-Propelled Lawn Mower's
    Anyone who recently purchased a Troy Bilt Self-Propelled Lawn Mower from either Lowe's or Home Depot within the last 12 months - should be aware that there is a Manufacturer Defect with these.

Troy Bilt had a recall that happened on 3/12/05 and never notified these stores, nor consumers after purchase.

It involves the V-Belt and the Pulley system - which engage the self-propelled mechanism; which is why everyone is discovering approximately 1 year after purchase or so (or newer one's) - that their Lawn Mower's self-propelled mechanism is no longer functioning! Yes, the wheels will turn off the ground, but not during lawn cutting!

There is a Service Kit # that will pop up at the Authorized Service Center's, if this is the case, when they put in your V-Belt #, located in the Manual that came with your Lawn Mower.

This is covered under the two-year warranty, with Troy Bilt - and if you purchased this with a Major Credit Card - most likely you have extended your Warranty by an additional one-year!

You will need your Receipt for Warranty Repair. If you do not have your Receipt, but purchased this with a Credit Card - call you CC Company, and have them provide a copy of that Statement during the time you purchased this - that should suffice as proof of purchase for the ASCenter. If possible, get the CC Company to get a duplicte Receipt from the store involved. Always hold onto Receipts and staple them inside booklets such as this for Warranty Claims, they are needed!

Please do not allow yourselves to be "stuck" with these inoperative Lawn Mowers - which can cause significant damage to your right hands - if let go like this. The lever mechanism will eventually be pulled in the opposite direction, as you try to hold it there - while trying to push the lawn mower - as it doesn't work properly - and the pully assembly underneath - is working against that "lever" - thereby, offering resistance to the lever - putting "stress" on your right hand the whole time you are trying to operate this Lawn Mower. You are in a potential "dangerous situation" while trying to operate this defective piece of machinery!

Hold TROY BILT ACCOUNTABLE - turn this in as a WARRANTY CLAIM - and MAKE THEM FIX YOUR LAWN MOWERS!
    jedxit Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2006, 06:40 AM
    I do not have my receipt of purchase cun you look at it by the model number and when I called in for help... The mower repair shop wants the receipt for a copy to send in to get their money...
    bjoz Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Troy Bilt Model #187352
    Model Series #830

If you purchased via a Credit Card, they should also be able to give you a copy of your receipt, or help you out with this purchase you made, you would have an extended warranty via your Credit Card, with most major Credit Cards. They extend your warranty past the original warranty, if you used a Credit Card.
    jelicks5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 04:07 PM
    I am "stuck" with one of these defective mowers and have lost my recept, ( the dog ate it!! ) to compound the issue, I purchased it outright with cash at Lowe's. Is there anything I can do to get Troy-Bilt to honor the warranty and make the repairs, if not any idea how costly a situation this may be?
    kgl1919 Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Oct 24, 2007, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoz
    Anyone who recently purchased a Troy Bilt Self-Propelled Lawn Mower from either Lowe's or Home Depot within the last 12 months - should be aware that there is a Manufacturer Defect with these.

Troy Bilt had a recall that happened on 3/12/05 and never notified these stores, nor consumers after purchase.

It involves the V-Belt and the Pulley system - which engage the self-propelled mechanism; which is why everyone is discovering approximately 1 year after purchase or so (or newer one's) - that their Lawn Mower's self-propelled mechanism is no longer functioning! Yes, the wheels will turn off the ground, but not during lawn cutting!

There is a Service Kit # that will pop up at the Authorized Service Center's, if this is the case, when they put in your V-Belt #, located in the Manual that came with your Lawn Mower.

This is covered under the two-year warranty, with Troy Bilt - and if you purchased this with a Major Credit Card - most likely you have extended your Warranty by an additional one-year!

You will need your Receipt for Warranty Repair. If you do not have your Receipt, but purchased this with a Credit Card - call you CC Company, and have them provide a copy of that Statement during the time period you purchased this - that should suffice as proof of purchase for the ASCenter. If possible, get the CC Company to get a duplicte Receipt from the store involved. Always hold onto Receipts and staple them inside booklets such as this for Warranty Claims, they are needed!

Please do not allow yourselves to be "stuck" with these inoperative Lawn Mowers - which can cause significant damage to your right hands - if let go like this. The lever mechanism will eventually be pulled in the opposite direction, as you try to hold it there - while trying to push the lawn mower - as it doesn't work properly - and the pully assembly underneath - is working against that "lever" - thereby, offering resistance to the lever - putting "stress" on your right hand the whole time you are trying to operate this Lawn Mower. You are in a potential "dangerous situation" while trying to operate this defective piece of machinery!!

Hold TROY BILT ACCOUNTABLE - turn this in as a WARRANTY CLAIM - and MAKE THEM FIX YOUR LAWN MOWERS!
    Checking with the CPSC there is no such recall. Recalls must be safety issues, and they must be listed with the CPSC. Warranty, service kits, updates, all have nothing to do with a "recall".
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jedxit
    I do not have my reciept of purchase cun you look at it by the model number and when i called in for help ....The mower repair shop wants the reciept for a copy to send in to get their money .....
    Usually if a customer no longer has their receipt, the manufacturer "wants" to go by the d.o.m. which is a bunch of bull. Sometimes you purchase a new unit and it will actually be the year's prior unit. In that case if you did not have a receipt, you would lose a years warranty. So keep up with that receipt. And mtd can be good with warranties, and they can be BAD with warranties.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jelicks5
    I am "stuck" with one of these defective mowers and have lost my recept, ( the dog ate it!!!) to compound the issue, I purchased it outright with cash at Lowe's. Is there anything I can do to get Troy-Bilt to honor the warranty and make the repairs, if not any idea how costly a situation this may be?
    They may go by the d.o.m. and use that date if you have no receipt. A lot of times it will depend on the relationship that the authorized dealer has with their mtd representative. I have seen where an individual has had what was definitely a warranty claim, and one shop try and charge them and tell them it was not warranty, when we looked at it and could tell it was warranty. Had the rep. from mtd look at it, and guess what? He too agreed it was warranty. So stay on them. Some shops are "authorized" service dealers, but do not try and work for the customer because they do not want to be out their labor and any other expenses for two to six weeks before they get their money from mtd. So they will tell customers it is not warranty, repair the unit, and get paid immediately when the customer comes to get their unit. Cash flow is what this topic is about. We always do a warranty claim if it is warranty, not saying that we haven't had a few claims denied, but everyone has I guess.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kgl1919
    Checking with the CPSC there is no such recall. Recalls must be safety issues, and they must be listed with the CPSC. Warranty, service kits, updates, all have nothing to do with a "recall".
    Try checking for a "service update", which is essentially a "recall", just worded differently. But essentially tells of a recommendation of what needs to be done.

Oct 27, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Huge difference.

Oct 27, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Mowerman, do you file electronically, or still use paper claims?
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kgl1919
    Mowerman, do you file electronically, or still use paper claims?
    What kind of question is that? And to answer, electronically on the computer.

Oct 28, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Mowerman, you certainly sound like a servicing dealer who really isn't fond of MTD.
    jwino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 01:47 PM
    I purchased a Troy Built 830 in April 07 from Lowe's. I mowed my small yard about a dozen times last year and the transmission went out. I called the Lowe's service number and was told there was no authorized repair center close to my home. I was given the option of driving 30 miles or bring it back and Lowe's would send it to MTD. I opted to return to Lowe's and waited 4 weeks to get it back. I got it back around the end of October and I just stored it for the winter. I have used it 6 times this spring and the transmission craped out again. I called Lowe's service again and was informed I would need to bring it in again for warranty service. I expressed my displeasure with this mower and I would like to have the number for Troy Built.

I called Troy Built and after a lengthy, serious discussion was informed they would not replace the mower but would again perform warranty repair. I informed him this was an ongoing problem and it appeared they were just stalling until the warranty expired and I would be stuck with a piece of junk, his response was I sorry you feel this way.

I loaded up the 830 this morning and drove to Lowe's with the intention for telling the manager what I thought of the mower and just leaving it in the store for junk. I ask for the manager and explained my problems. I did not hear what I had expected, the manager ask if I would like a full refund and Lowe's would deal with Troy Built.

After owning the mower for 14 months I walked out of Lowe's a pleased customer, with a 100% refund and yes, I did have the receipt.

Way to go Lowe's!
    luckydog_01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 08:30 AM
    I have 3 y.o 834 model with the same problem. Have no proof of sale. I called ttroy-bilt tech people and they are sending me a new tans ,free of charge.hope this helps others

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Changing Oil, Troy Bilt Riding Mower [ 5 Answers ]

I am ded3 and new at lawn care. I have a Troy Bilt riding mower and would Like to know where to drain the oil in order to change it as well as an easy Way to get to the spark plug. Can anyone help in simple language for Beginner?

Troy Bilt Self Propelled Mower [ 8 Answers ]

I have a fairly new Troy Bilt self propelled mower. The propulsion system is not working properly. If the wheels are held off the ground they do turn but once they are set down, they do not propel the mower. I could take it in but then I wouldn't get it back for weeks. Any ideas for a "fix" I...

Troy Bilt won't Fire [ 4 Answers ]

Troy Bilt Model #3AQ609G063, 18hp B/S engine Twin II (model # for engine is42A707). I replaced the starter,solenoid, and it has a new battery. When I turn the key nothing. I jump the solenoid and the starter turns. I jump the starter and it turns. There is plenty of gas getting to the carb but, no...

Walk behind troy built self propelled lawn mower [ 2 Answers ]

The self propelled feature in this mower is not working properly .It does not have enough pulling power to move the mower along.Can someone tell me how to make this repair or adjustment.

Troy Bilt Mower [ 8 Answers ]

Went into the garage to start the mower and nothing. Won't turn over or anything. Does that mean that battery is dead? It's about 11 months old. Troy Bilt Bronco 42" Twin-Blade Side Discharge Deck C.V.T. continuously variable transmission for simple speed shifting Cast iron front axle...

View more questions Search