Ask
    donkey41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Programming language
    What is the differences between programming languages and generations 1-4
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2008, 08:12 PM

The same differences between spoken languages and dialects.
    Zayne S Halsall Posts: 71, Reputation: 5

Nov 30, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Programming languages have many differences, based on their generation, as well as their many design choices - how they handle typing, their syntax, etc. Due to the lack of a clear taxonomy, it is very difficult to compare languages directly. Wikipedia is a good start, though, with a solid article related to programming languages: Programming language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding the first to fourth generation portion of your question, AFAIK it goes something like this:

• 1st-gen would be machine code (in other words, binary) - back in the day, simple computers would be programmed by flipping switches each equating to one or zero;
    • 2nd-gen would be assembly - simple opcodes targetted at a specific CPU architecture's instructions;
    • 3rd-gen would be languages with predefined types, structures, libraries, whose source code is compiled into machine code via single to multiple passes of a compiler (e.g. C, Pascal);
    • 4th-gen would be languages that were (or might be) compiled and converted into machine code on the fly - scripting languages used by an application/parser (e.g. SQL, PHP, Python, etc).

All of this is off the top of my head, so if a more formal description exists, everyone feel free to correct me. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Programming Language [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in learning the main programming language for windows.Can anyone please tell me the main (best)programming language to learn. Thanks in advance Bitrate

Programming language [ 2 Answers ]

What is the most essential and easy to learn language

Asp programming language [ 2 Answers ]

The web site I develop work properly in another computer but unable to work in my PC and the message it displays is unupdateable query in internet explorer so what shall I do?

Best First Programming Language [ 17 Answers ]

I'm have a hard time deciding which programming language I should learn first. I have a friend who learned Java and said it's relatively simple, and it seems to have more compatibility than something like C or C++, but then I hear the C# will. My friend is using Java to make computer games, and if...

View more questions Search