Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crashmdc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2006, 11:00 AM
    Addition Sewer Question
    Hi,
    I am adding on to my house and a bathroom is part of the plan. I have attached a diagram of what I am planning, and had a couple of questions:

1. As the bathroom is in the center-back of the house, and no access to existing sewer, I have to run the line toward the rear of the house to get around the existing structure, and then around to the front. There is no good spot to put a clean out, so can I call my 4" roof vent the clean out for code?

2. What size should the vent lines be that tie into the main vent (pipes in wall on diagram)?

The diagram shows a side view of the plumbing, and a overhead of the run.

Also, any suggestions or comments on what looks wrong would be greatly appricated.

Thanks much,
    Mike
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Sewer.pdf (16.3 KB, 383 views)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2006, 11:50 AM
    Hey Mike,

"There is no good spot to put a clean out, so can I call my 4" roof vent the clean out for code?"
    While most of the time we snake from a roof vent it doesn't qualify as a clean out. If this job will be inspected why not install a clean out tee in the roof vent line about 2 feet off the floor and then you can wall it in after inspection?

2. What size should the vent lines be that tie into the main vent (pipes in wall on diagram)?

Make your vent lines 2"

3. Also, any suggestions or comments on what looks wrong would be greatly appricated.

Your layout looks great but I sure wish you could reverse the job and do away with the "scenic tour" the drainage's taking.
    You don't show how much below grade the 4" ABS main is but I figure 32 1/2" fall on the main when it connects into the main sewer. Are you going to run out of fall before you reach it? How deep, below grade , is the main sewer?
    Regards, Tom

Jun 26, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Tom,
    Thanks for the quick response!

This brings up one more question on the clean-out. I am adding three rooms and the bathroom, and all will be inspected. Is it okay to have the clean out plug walled in, or do you need an access door?

I am not crazy about the rambling run either, but can not see any other way. I was going to tunnel under a footing and trench through my house, but do not have enough fall.

I had a heck of a time finding the main line. It comes out by my front door at about 2 feet below grade, and then takes a nosedive. About 10 feet further out it is at 5 feet. This is where I plan to tie in, so my drop should be fine. The main is clay pipe at that point, so I will need to cut in and tie my ABS in at that point.

Again, Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Mike
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Hi Mike,

" Is it okay to have the clean out plug walled in, or do you need an access door?'

You must have access to a clean out at the time of inspection, however, what you do after inspection's up to you. Another option, (I like lots of options) would be to replace the 4" quarter bend at the base of the vent with a 4" combination wye and eighth bend and bring up up to floor level with a 4" cleanout. Good luck, Tom

Jun 30, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Tom,
    I have a couple of more question for you. I have dug my trench and am going to start laying the pipe today.

1. Per code, do I need to have any additional cleanouts other than at the beginning of the run due to the run length or turns?

2. For inspection, I assume I install a test tee right before I tie into the clay main. I assume I connect to the main, and install the inflateable ball in the test tee for inspection?

Thanks again for all your help.

Mike
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 30, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Hi Mike,

1. "Per code, do I need to have any additonal cleanouts other than at the beginning of the run due to the run length or turns?"

Chapter 7, section 704.2 of the Standard Plumbing Code states; "Cleanouts shall be not more then 50 feet apart in horizontal drainage lines of 4" nominal diameter or less.

2. "For inspection, I assume I install a test tee right before I tie into the clay main. I assume I connect to the main, and install the inflateable ball in the test tee for inspection?"

Correct

Good luck, Tom

Jun 30, 2006, 09:56 PM
    Tom,
    Sorry for bugging you again, but I have blundered... I forgot my vent lines.

I have attached a picture to see if I am okay, or if I will need to redo and vent each item.

There is going to be a wall where the sink drain is coming up, and I am going to vent it in the wall back to the 4" vent that is up against the existing wall, and was wondering if the toilet and tub are okay (probably not, but I am hopeful)

The toilet drain is 3' 8" from the 4" vent.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2006, 06:25 AM
    You can stop fretting Mike,

You're going to be OK. All those vents and revents were overkill. I didn't correct you because I thought they were a "done deal". While all those revents would work just dandy the only vent you will have to revent back to the main vent is the lavatory vent that's already in place.
    Let me explain. The tub's already vented by the main vent, (This main vent IS a dry vent isn't it?)
    The toilet's wetvented back to the main vent and the lav is revented back to the main vent.
    If your fixtures were configured any other way you would have to redo the vents but you lucked out this time. Just revent the lav as planned and you're home free.
    Good luck, Tom

Jul 1, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Tom,
    Yes, the main vent is a dry vent.

Thanks again for all you help!

Best regards,
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer clean out location question [ 7 Answers ]

I had some problems with my drain in January and eventually found my clean out under 10 inches of dirt and mulch. Thanks, speedball1, for advice for the cover. Now my neighbor is trying to find her clean out. (She has had some drain issues in the past and the plumbers have told her they...

1ST Floor Bath addition [ 5 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can offer advice. I currently live in the NE in a 1/2 double home that is 80+ yrs old. Approx. 25 yrs ago an additional room was added to rear of first floor (nothing is above this room). This room currently has a large sink. I would like to/in process of gutting the room to...

Toilet addition [ 5 Answers ]

There supposedly is a device, kind of like a garbage disposer, that allows you to pump the waste from a toilet through a 2-inch drain pipe. What exactly is that thing and how does it work?

Addition foundation [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any experience with connecting a new crawlspace to a existing block foundation? I know if they are both poured you could use rebar to connect them, or if they were both block you would key the new one into the existing, but is it possible to mix the two?

View more questions Search