Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goddess of love Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Still not divorced
    I have been seeing a man for over a year now. He has been separated from his wife for over a year and a half. They are going for a dissolutionment, but not has happened yet. How long should I wait for a commitment? I know he does not love her, but how can I speed things up?
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 26, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Have you asked for a commitment or have you two talked about a commitment? Are you just hoping it will happen? His 'paper' marriage should not prevent him from committing himself to you. I wouldn't try too hard to "speed things up" as matters of the heart take time. Where does the delay lie? Is it him dragging is feet, or is she holding up the show? If it is him, gentle encouragement should do the trick. If it is her causing the delays, there may be nothing you can do.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 26, 2006, 12:21 PM
    MANVIEW- We will say anything and I do mean anything to get a female between the sheets. We also will say anything and I do mean anything to get what we want from a female;sex, money, a place to stay, sympathy, food, etc. Divorced guys are notorious and good at this. Married men are even better at it though. NOT meaning to discourage just to enlighten.

Jun 26, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Additional information: I'm divorced with (2) children and almost 40. I don't think I can start over with dating again.

Jun 26, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Getting to old to start over with dating again. Almost 40 with (2) young children. He also have shared parenting of (2) young children. I know I need to wait, but I want us to start a life together. Back and forth between houses gets hard. Combined incomes would also reduce some stress of always being poor.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 26, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Because your 40 doesn't mean you have to settle and if its been a year and a half... hope you didn't cheat with him while he was married?? Why is he getting divorced... Sorry there are too many questions for me to really give accurate advice and your additional info sets off red flags to me .

Jun 26, 2006, 05:58 PM
    [No, I was not the reason for the divorce. She had already moved out and they were separated when I met him. She is 10 years younger than him (she 30, he's 42), he married her because she was preganant. Divorcing I believe due to age gap, don't want the same things, etc.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 26, 2006, 06:28 PM
    I think I know the answers sometimes simply by looking at myself. I don't think men and women are all that different in the long run. I could not go any faster than I did. A few expressed wishes that I go faster. But one waited for me and that is who I fell in love with and married.

I don't mean to sound too literal but the real answer here is you can't speed things up, only he can. And like North said, he is limited in this too.

If you have expressed your wishes for faster, then that is all you can do. If you trust him, then you trust that he is going as fast as he can too. If you don't trust him however, speed is definitely not the answer. Talk is. Honest, open, sincere talk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is he divorced? [ 2 Answers ]

My sister-in-law filed for divorce from my brother about 2 years ago. My brother never signed any papers or cooporated with her lawyer. Now he decides he wants to marry again. How and where would he go to find out if he is divorced, without having to contact his ex, so he can remarry?

Divorced But Together: What If One Dies? [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced but we are together as a couple and have been since shortly after the divorce was final back in 1994. Question, we own a house jointly and my husband has a 401K and we both have life insurance policies naming each other as beneficiaries. If one of us is to die, and being that we...

Divorced for 1 Year [ 2 Answers ]

North Carolina resident, divorce was uncontested, he did not ever appear in court or respond to any atty notices, divorce was final 2/28/05 now he says he can have the divorce reversed and seize all property, he also threatens to sue me for mental anguish. His newest threat is to sue my boyfriend...

Divorced? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to see if my friend really is divorced without paying for detective fees? Are there data bases to view?:confused:

Divorced men only, please [ 1 Answers ]

Hi MEN only please. I've been involved with a wonderful person for 2 years now. We have a very similar background. We're both divorced, have a child each (boys) and never take each other for granted. We both work hard at communicating our differences. While he's pretty much almost perfect...

View more questions Search