Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Text Message "Speak"
    Is it me or does anyone else have problems reading posts from others who type into their computers as if they were text messaging? I have been "trained" to use correct english and be as correct as possible when typing so that I am completely understood.

To me, "text speak" can be hard to understand as well as interpret.

Thanks guys.

Janine
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 03:25 AM
    Lol, me 2 :D

I'm the same way. And a few have said so here, too. When I see a lot of it - especially in a lengthy post, I stop reading after a line or three and move on.
    Expert

Jun 26, 2006, 04:52 AM
    I move on also. Unfortunately, some of those questions I might be able to answer, but text speak is too hard on the eyes and brain.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2006, 01:42 PM
    I can read text speak, but I also don't like it, and I usually move on and don't pay attention to questions written in text speak. I actually text message myself, and use text speak while I'm messaging, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to write properly while on a forum or in an email. People who text message need to learn that there is a difference between communicating over a cell phone and over a computer in general.
    Expert

Jun 26, 2006, 03:22 PM
    My only problem with that is that I don't text message. As a secretary for so many years I am used to typing in correct english. Yeah I may get some typos, but text speak is hard to uderstand for those of us older folks. LOL
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 27, 2006, 12:15 AM
    What is text speak?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 03:37 AM
    It's using a lot of chatroom abbreviations like these:
    http://www.imacronyms.com/
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Comment on orange's post
    Same here
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 27, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Miss Manners gives it a gentle tut tut, lol :rolleyes:

I think it warrants a loving nudge here and if they don't get the hint, well, I tend to just chalk it off as they are the sort of folk who stop by the store in clothes that I don't do my yardwork in so its perhaps a lost cause then? :D

The truly cool thing here is the ignored don't last. If only face-to-face world were so easy, sighs. LOL
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 29, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Comment on orange's post
    Yup
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 1, 2006, 12:02 PM
    If my daughter's not here, I'm in trouble. I just thought that the texter was drunk!:cool: :eek: :rolleyes:

Who you callin' old?:D

Jul 1, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Moves over on the "geezer" bench to make room for Talaniman lol
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 1, 2006, 02:19 PM
    What did you call me? A goose? An old goose? Afat old goose?

Jul 1, 2006, 03:23 PM
    Giggles... then folds up my arms and flaps them slowly. :p
    I mean hey, if the bird fits, wear it! :eek:
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Jul 1, 2006, 08:54 PM
    As a teenager I am surrounded by it, but for me it has always been that I use correct english when texting. I go fast enough to were it doesn't slow me down and that while it won't mistakenly get in there when I type reports or on forums. I find if you keep it the same it's a lot easier.
    listerine Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Hi as your talking about text speak I thought that this was the most appropriate category, whilst I don't consider myself dumb I do get a bit lost and at the moment I am winning when it comes to a little comp with one of my nieces up to now I have be able to answer most of the things she's asked me such as what is lol, brb wuu2 wubu2 and so on but now she has me stumped just what is 'dm' please help as all my street cred will fly right out of the window :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Text messaging has its place. Using IMs or texting on a phone, especially with limited keyboards, you need to abbreviate.

But on a messaging board where you are asking for help or advice, you want to be sure people understand you.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Is it me or does anyone else have problems reading posts from others who type into their computers as if they were text messaging? I have been "trained" to use correct english and be as correct as possible when typing so that I am completely understood.

To me, "text speak" can be hard to understand as well as interpret.

Thanks guys.

Janine
    I know, doesn't it drive you nuts? It's like trying to decipher a code, almost like a foreign language.
    Expert

Oct 5, 2006, 07:49 PM
    Sheesh, I guess I am just old. But I cannot understand this code at all.
    beautifuldiva Posts: 79, Reputation: 8

Oct 5, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Haha It's funny how you coin the term "text speak" when all it really is, is a series of acronyms kids use just due to laziness.. We do, however, use at least one of them as J_9 did "lol". That could very well be considered this "text speak" OMG this is too funny! :) (that's "oh my god" for you non text speakers) ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

How to displace the loading image with a message like "loading... "? [ 3 Answers ]

How to displace the loading image with a message like "loading"?

My message "flag" column in my in-box disappeared [ 3 Answers ]

In myOutlook Express In-box there are are normally 3 columns to the left of "sender". The column which shows flags is normally used to mark a message that one wants to attend to later. I have many messages which I have flagged in the past, but the column which displays them no longer appears...

View more questions Search