Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    focushigh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Slow computer
    What causes the computer to be so slow or sluggish in return responses? It seems like it takes forever to go from 1 website to another or between links within the site.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Have you cleared your cache (history) or run a defrag recently? I must do this almost weekly to keep mine in top performance.

I don't know diddly about computers, but I do know this helps me.
    TTHOMPSONMANGINA Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jun 25, 2006, 08:02 PM
    Hi.. what type of connection do you have to the internet? Do you use dial up, dsl, or cable? If you have dial up that could be the bulk of your problem because it takes dial up a while to download the pictures and other files on some websites for viewing.. you might want to switch to dsl or cable..

For a quick check for your computer to make it run a little smoother go to your system tools and perform a disk cleanup and a disk defrag on your C: drive.. the disk clean up will free up some space on your PC by removing some files that aren't needed and the defrag will put the files you already have in a better order for easier access by your cpu.. hope this helps a little
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 25, 2006, 10:11 PM
    spyware most of the time is the culprit...

get a free scanner like ad-aware or spybot and scan your system...

after this run a update on your antivirus and do a full system scan and deep scan if it allows

if you still have slowdown after cleaning system of spyware and virus' go to the disk cleanup and defrag section and give that a try

if its still slow after that go to the start button and find the run button
    click that and type msconfig
    it will take you to where programs are started when you boot up the system

the basics should be there

a sound driver or panel
    antivirus
    firewall
    maybe your printer or usb hubs or removable drives

anything else isn't too necessary that it can't be loaded by you manually when you need it

also a good way to determine if you have too many things running is to look down at your clock... the FEWER the icons the better

more icons=more memory being used

memory.. make sure you have a decent amount... 256 is the barest of minimums so a good spot is 512...

good luck we all been there

if you don't mind telling... what programs are running down by the clock?
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 26, 2006, 12:44 AM
    Try this program.. It is awesome! Recommended by Curlyben one of the amazing and talented and knowledgeable moderators here

http://www.ccleaner.com/
    Also as some have said. Dial-up is S... L... O... W If you have dial-up like me... it takes for EVER
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 26, 2006, 01:19 AM
    *Blush* Cheers Stormy

As has already been mentioned here's a full list of things to keep your machine running well.

Have you made sure all your drivers and patches are up to date ?
    Worth try are some other anti spyware/virus apps and some system maintenance.
    (I'm going to assume that you are using XP even tho' you didn't mention.
    Most of these steps will work with any Operating System)

Here's some simple steps for you to take.
    1/ Remove temp files and other rubbish form your system, either with inbuilt Disc Clean up or CCleaner.
    (Disc clean up; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Disc clean up button on general tab. Let it run and select everything)
    2/ Defrag; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Tools tab > Defragament now button.
    3/ Error checking; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Tools tab > Top button > check now. Check BOTH boxes, OK the error message and reboot.
    4/ Page file; Right click 'my computer' > properties > advanced tab > Performance settings button > advanced tab > Virtual memory (near the bottom). To make things easier for you select System managed size > click set > then OK's all the way out again. (I suggest 'system managed' as there is no consensus on min and max sizes to set)
    5/ To make sure everything is running fine also run both anti virus and anti spyware apps (make sure that they are updated first ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jun 26, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Still slow? Run a speedtest to determine if your slow speed is a local PC problem or an ISP issue... If the later is the case, contact your broadband (cable, dsl) ISP & check for line noise.

If you are running your internet on a wireless connection, get used to interferrence. :D

P2E
    jhellyar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2006, 04:46 AM
    What about SLOW on a new Dell Inspiron 9400 with Core Duo?
    jacqueli Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Dearest Curlyben,
    I performed all these steps and ran the FREE version of AVG, also the "ewido" spyware (also free) and my PC is running so much better, like NEVER BEFORE! I have dial-up, ALSO have AOL, (I know-2 strikes) I just can't believe it's running so much better! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
    I would have paid money to have it run this much better... to think it was FREE!
    Guess that knocks out that old expression, "Opinions are like *!?@%#. Everyone's got one and they all stink." <<<<<NOT SO!>>>>>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer running verrryyy SLOW [ 1 Answers ]

I have windows XP & Until a week ago everything was FINE. Then all of a sudden my computer would freeze on me and totally lock up. :mad: I ran a driver update and updated all my drivers that had better updated drivers. It did stop freezing up, but it is slower than EVER and I have high speed...

Very Slow Computer [ 3 Answers ]

For a fairly long time now my computer has been extremely slow, booting up takes about Ten minutes, when I open and shut programs everything slows down nearly to a holt and I have to leave and come back, starting most programs takes a while and opening too many explorer windows slows everything...

Computer running very slow [ 2 Answers ]

Ive already run all the major Spyware checkers and found nothing using Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy. Also ran the scan within the latest ZoneAlarm and TrendMicro Anti-Virus. Here is my Hijack log. Computer is only 3 months old 3.0 Ghz. ...

Computer runs really slow [ 8 Answers ]

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0 Scan saved at 6:55:14 PM, on 2/19/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe...

Computer is slow and other problems... [ 2 Answers ]

Well ever since a couple days ago my PC has been running slow, like something is stressing it out. Like, when I go on AOL Instant Messenger before the program starts up its memory usage (from task manager) is 5,000 then when it connects and it fully started up its memory usage is like 29,000! And...

View more questions Search