Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    91dx Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 03:52 PM
    91 civic dx. Accelearation problems.
    Hello, I have a 91 civic dx. My problems is, when I'm driving I experience acceleration problems. Its not the transmission, gears change OK. It feels like the car is choking, I step on the gas hard and it kicks out but goes right back to choking a min later. Has a new distributor, plugs wires, fuel filter, new catalic, exhaust pipe, muffler, tried different PC, but nothing helps, was told the fuel pump is OK. Everyonce in a while the car would not start, based on what I've read so far it sounds like that main relay is bad, but would changing the main relay solve my acceleration problem? When the temp sensor or throttle body is disconnected the veh runs fine with no acceleration problems, but both of these sensor are fine, I've had them tested, 2 mechanics have looked at the veh but could not figure out what is causing the acceleration problem I'm hoping the main relay would fix it. From what I could tell the problem is worst in the winter when its cold, need feedback please, thank you
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2006, 08:12 PM
    Check your MAP sensor, which controls timing (similar to old vacuum advance on distributors) and air/fuel mixture, depending on manifold pressure changes. Check the electrical side of the MAP sensor (Code 3) and the vacuum side (Code 5). Even if no codes are thrown, thoroughly check out the sensor--it's that important.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 26, 2006, 02:47 AM
    It couldn't be your main relay. They only make problems when you try to start the car.

How old are spark plugs?

Jun 26, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Will give the map sensor a shot, will update you guys once results are back. Thanks

Jun 26, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Plugs are about 1 yr or bit more

Jun 26, 2006, 06:37 AM
    I forgot to tell you guys, when a diagnostic was ran on the car, it came back with a code 16, this is what lead me to believe the relay was bad. I forgot what the code 16 means but the mechanic at the time said he cannot explain the 16 because everything was fine from what he could tell
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 26, 2006, 02:07 PM
    Code 16 is fuel injection system. Have you tried getting another set of injectors (for free from a friend or something) and try them out for a few days? Only injectors from another DX will fit you.

Test them with an ohmmeter.

Jun 26, 2006, 05:49 PM
    Will also try the different fuel injectors. I spoke to a mechanic today, he worked as a hoda mechanic for over 20 yrs he said, I told him about my problem, he thinks it's the igintion coil and igniter, what do you guys think? I get different answers for different mechanics. Thanks for you feedback
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 06:46 PM
    When you replaced your distributor, did you check your timing afterwards?

Jun 28, 2006, 05:56 PM
    Yep the time was checked, I changed the map sensor and nothing, engine sounds much better but still has acceleration problem. I was told to change the throttle body. What do you guys think, am I just wasting my money?
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:57 PM
    1. Are you using NGK plugs or cross-reference plugs? My experience is that NGK plugs work, by far, the best in Hondas.

2. Did you get 5 volts going between the ECM and the MAP sensor connector's reference wire? Did you test the vacuum side of the MAP sensor? Are the vacuum hoses themselves in good shape? Check the port that the MAP sensor vacuum hose goes into, on the throttle body, to make sure it is not clogged. Clean it with a very fine wire and aerosol carburetor cleaner, if necessary.

3. Did you check out the throttle position sensor? After the MAP sensor, this is the most likely to cause problems.

4. If all of these check out O.K. I'd focus on a possible bad ECM. Your Honda is 15 years old and many ECMs don't last that long. Try substituting a known good ECM. This would tie into the starting problem, as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 Honda Civic DX Starting Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My honda civic dx has a hard time starting sometimes. This only happens occasionally but it'll turn over, but just won't ever start. It happened first about a month ago and is happening once a day now. I replaced the spark plugs and I don't know what else to do.

91 civic starting problems [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my 91 civic hatchback dx suddenly quit while driving--as if it ran out of fuel, and I couldn't get her going again. The usual dash lights work when key turned to position 2 and the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds. The check engine light does not come on. The starter turns the motor over...

Civic problems [ 6 Answers ]

I offered to help a friend fix his '97 honda civic and after an afternoon of looking at it, I'm no closer to a solution than I was before. I've never worked on a honda before but was hoping someone could give me a little help. Problem --> engine sounds fine unless the car is moving and your foot...

95 Civic DX 2 electrical problems. [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 problems with my 95 Civic DX: 1: I jumpstart my car and it starts right up. When I turn off the car, an hour later the battery dies. I have charged it up full and something is draining it. Nothing is left on. Maybe I need a new battery? 2: I have projector headlights that keep...

94 honda civic problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 94 honda civic . The power locks do not work and the sun roof will close by it self. If I open the sun roof it will not stay open it will close by itself also does this have any to do with the power locks not working. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search