Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sskwire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Can I finish sheetrock inside corners with caulk?
    My contractor wants to use caulk, rather than tape and Spackle, to finish the inside corners of sheet rock he has just hung in my house. He says it will save time and that I will never know the difference. I have never heard of this. Is it an acceptable practice? Thanks.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2008, 11:42 AM

NO

Unless the joints are so clean as to not need any filling.

No way would a reputable drywall contractor do this,taping is the only way to ensure a closed corner.

Make him finish like a professional,or find someone who knows this trade to do it for you.

KBC
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 20, 2008, 06:58 PM
    No way, he is a clown, get rid of him
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Hey sskwire...

Like these guys have suggested... this is a bad practice for new work.

On old work, say filling a crack that has developed over time, we use caulking plenty often to fill the void and then once dried will paint as needed... makes for super nice finish job.

For new work..this is a poor practice! He is simply trying NOT to tape the corners and blend!

I would not accept this!

MARK
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 2, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Basically he is just trying to get out of doing any additional work. You will definetely notice the difference and so will anyone who comes into your home. If you paid him to hang and finish the drywall he needs to do it the right way.

Aaron
    InspectorDan Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2008, 07:32 AM

The caulk will not adhere to the gypsum. However, if he used 'J' channels on the long vertical edges of the 2 sheets that meet in the corner AND if he spaced the sheets apart so that the caulking has a good 'purchase' AND if used backer rod so that he had a properly designed caulk joint with the required two sided adhesion then it MIGHT work just fine. It may not look so great but it should provide a stable and relatively airtight corner.

Good Luck!
    askmejoemac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2010, 02:00 PM
    I don't feel that the technique is wrong at all... Ive done both... depending on how straight, plumb and square the sheets have been hung... Ya traditional tape and mud on seems is always accepted being the method for quite some time... but with well percision seam work.. caulking corners works very well.. alows movement where tape and mud will crack, giving the condition... I use both methods depending on self judged conditions.structure strength, moisture, etc... now someone who does only drywall work for a living unlike a handyman... will suggest ONLY tape and mud method because when making a bid on a job he wants someone else to us the same method... for estimate sake... mud and tape takes longer... more hours... more work... more moneys... larger estimate... its OK to be inovative as long as you stand behind your work... No bias... Like both methods... there both fine...
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 06:19 PM
    Hi Askmejoemac...

Sskwire's original question asked if caulking corners on newly installed sheetrock was an "acceptable practice". It is not an accepted standard anywhere that I know of... ;)

I certainly agree, however, that in remodeling work this technique is valuable to both the homeowner and the tradesman!

Thanks...

Mark
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2010, 06:13 PM

Hi mass I'm laughing.. You jumped on an old thread that Askme reactivated... So easy to do especially when its slow...
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 04:20 PM
    YUP... just wanted to add my two cents in JUST IN CASE someone else reads this in the future... HUH?

Have a great day!

Mark
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Aug 21, 2010, 07:10 AM

Your builder is trying to save a buck have the job taped by a good drywaller to get it done correct
    Rich T Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 11:51 AM
    What type of caulking did you use?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
    Hi Richie T

Welcome to AMHD.

U are on a post that is 2 yrs old. If u want an answer from the most people, make a new post.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To caulk or not to caulk; cedar shake [ 7 Answers ]

I will be painting my house this summer which is painted cedar shakes. A previous owner calked cracks and also the spaces between the shakes. I have removed some of this caulk and paint as it is failing. Should I re-caulk the spaces between the shakes?

It's not where you start, it's where you finish and I'm going to finish on top. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find the name of the song and lyrics to the song that has the line... "It's not where you start, it's where you finish and I'm going to finish on top." It came from a show, possibly Barnum? Thanks David

Darkened corners! [ 4 Answers ]

photo! in the photo^ the corners have been shaded using a computer program. Is there a program that you know of that does this? Preferably one that's a free download. Or what the best free program that you can download is?

View more questions Search