Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linkzworld Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 03:36 AM
    Employed theft, What will happen? ($600)
    I was working at a Target store of which I sold 600 dollars worth of items for $0 a piece. I was caught after 3 months of doing so and arrested. I spent the night in jail and went to court the next morning, the judge told me that I would have to come back in two months but did not say anything else, he also said I had a right to an attorney, I said I didn't want one because I thought I was guilty so what would I need one for? I then had to sign some paper about refusing an attorney and I went home.

When I was arrested by the Assets protection they told me that I had to return all items that were "stolen" and whatever remained un-returned I would have to pay them (in total, $605).

I read on a few places that I should have gotten an attorney to help lower my charge to keep me from going to jail or getting a felony or any other charges. I now can't get an attorney and I'm not sure what to do. This is my first offense and I've never been to court before so I'm clueless and scared less of the consequences.

I don't know if I will get a felony, go to jail, get probation, community service.. etc..

Any answers would be greatly appreciated...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 03:40 PM

Have you been formally arraigned yet? At your arraignment is when you plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead not guilty you also ask for a court appointed attorney if you do not have the funds to pay for a private attorney. You didn't say where you were located so it will be hard to figure out if you will get some jail time or just probation with community service thrown in for good measure. You didn't say if you were a minor or not either. Lots of factors come into play here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 06:30 PM

Ok, you were arrested, and that first court hearing was your first appearance, where they would have told you the formal charges, required bail if they wanted it, and asked you about an attorney.

You need to contact the public defenders office and ask the procedure to reqest one, or of corse hire one.

And yes, you need an attorney

Nov 20, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Have you been formally arraigned yet? At your arraignment is when you plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead not guilty you also ask for a court appointed attorney if you do not have the funds to pay for a private attorney. You didn't say where you were located so it will be hard to figure out if you will get some jail time or just probation with community service thrown in for good measure. You didn't say if you were a minor or not either. Lots of factors come into play here.
    Uh, I turned 20 like 3 days before I was arrested.

First offense, and I'm in North Carolina.

I don't remember if I pleaded guilty or not when I first appeared the day after being arrested, I was too nervous to think about anything.. I denied my right to an attorney so I think I'm screwed.. I went to a DA's office and they said I'm allowed to hire my own private attorney, but she didn't say whether he was able to be in the courtroom with me or not during the judgment 2 months from now. She said if I wanted to get my rights back because of confusion on my part to have a court given attorney I'd have to ask the Judge on the court day, and he may or may not allow it...

If I do get jail time.. which I hope I don't.. how long would it be and would I be able to post bail + community service and probation or whatever, I'm not sure what any of this means I'm just throwing out words I've read from other posts.

Nov 20, 2008, 07:57 PM

I also forgot to ask.. If I'm able to hire a private attorney who can be at court with me etc, would they REALLY help me out in my situation? I keep hearing that hiring your own attorney is extremely pricey and unaffordable for most people.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linkzworld View Post
    I also forgot to ask.. If I'm able to hire a private attorney who can be at court with me etc, would they REALLY help me out in my situation? I keep hearing that hiring your own attorney is extremely pricey and unaffordable for most people.

You don't know the cost until you contact an Attorney or two and ask. There was a discussion about legal fees yesterday and they vary greatly from place to place, State to State. If you don't know what you're doing I suggest an Attorney.

It is difficult to say without knowing the legal "climate" in your area - but some of the big stores (Target, Walmart, KMart) are extremely tough on employee crime.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 07:32 AM

Ok, first you may have an attorney in court with you, that is a "right" in the US. Next the DA is not your friend, he may even lie to you, trying to get you to settle for a deal.

You need to talk to the public defenders office and ask to see if you can still get a public defender if you can not afford your own attorney.

A criminal record can keep you from getting better jobs even 20 years in the future, so this can be important

Nov 21, 2008, 05:08 PM

I went to the courthouse and spoke to the criminal justice person and she told me that I waved my rights to have a court given attorney, and that if I wanted to ask for one I'd have to explain to the judge on the day of court that I was confused and I actually did want a court given attorney because I'm unable to afford a personal one. Is Public Defenders the same thing as Criminal Law, the secretary I spoke to? Or is Public Defenders a whole different area of the court house? I didn't see anything with the specific name..

Thing is, I really want an attorney now that I see how much I need it but I can't wait till the last minute and hope the judge will be lenient and allow me to have one given..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 but not charged, what will happen [ 7 Answers ]

I was in a store recently and took a sample makeup. They valued the product at the original full size price 10.00. I regret this choice so much.. My questions are 1. I was not charged, police were called but because I have no other incidences, they said I get a warning. Will this show up on a...

Got a felony B Theft while being employed at a bank [ 2 Answers ]

She was charged with a felony (B) and now she is doing probation. One of the conditions was to tell her employer about the sentencing. It is a bank. Since she was a good employee the bank gave put her on a personal leave and a chance to just resign since the said she can’t be bonded. After the...

Theft under 5000$ what will happen? [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently been convicted of stealing two bottles of pills from a pharmacy and I have been summand to go to court in ontario it is theft and possession under 5000$ I have an upcoming trip to egypt and I want to know if having a criminal record will affect me being able to go on my trip I also...

F-1: self-employed or employed? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have suddenly found myself in a situation, and I don't know how to file my taxes. I am here as an F-1 student on OPT, it is my fifth year here. I am primarily a writer. I stayed in the U.S. for an extra year to try to write, and also to apply for graduate school for Fall 2007....

Self Employed [ 1 Answers ]

In 2006 (this year) I managed to earn $60000 as a contractor (I work 100% from home doing programming work) I'm in the state of Texas, so what taxes do I have to file and how many percentage are they? This is my first time being self employed. So far after reading online, ii know I have ot file...

View more questions Search