Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jun 25, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Q: extra wireless key codes
    Anyone knoW what the extra wireless keys (i.e. Key2.. Key4) are used for in a wireless/WEP router? Typcially, I use default (key1) for lan wep key code...

Anyone?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 25, 2006, 10:28 AM
    It means you can set up multiple keys for the same AP.
    On the PC you can specify which key to use, 1-4.
    Admittedly I haven't seen much point in multiple keys as yet.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jun 26, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Since it appears you can only set one (default?) key code... does this mean
    an unauthorized user (hacker) can access the wlan by hacking ANY of the four codes? Alternately, doesn't having 4 "passwords" increase the risk (liability) by 4x than having a single password?

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    It means you can set up multiple keys for the same AP.
    On the PC you can specify which key to use, 1-4.
    Admittedly I haven't seen much point in multiple keys as yet.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Jul 18, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Having a spare key to give to a visitor is helpful so you can turn off the spare key later without having to adjust all your regular PCs. Yes it does mean a brute force attach will take less time, but there are better ways that brute force.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Fan Motor - Extra Wire [ 5 Answers ]

The AC fan motor outside went out on my central unit . I purchased a new motor and got home and saw that it had an extra wire coming from the motor. I know where all the other wires attach to. On the "old" capacitor I took off "one brown" and "one black wire". On the side of the new motor it...

Extra long bleeding [ 3 Answers ]

I have been on my period now for 12 days. This has never happened before. The first 5 were heavy w/ a lot of clotting which isn't unusual and then it stopped for a day and has been bleeding again since. When I wipe now its light and watery but has some clear discharge w/ blood running through it....

Extra red wire for fan [ 3 Answers ]

I removed an old ceiling fan and am in the process of replacing it with a model233-798 Romanesque fan by Hampton Bay. I have a red wire coming out of the ceiling box that I don't know what to do with. I've connected the ground, white and black wires but am at a loss what to do with the red. ...

Making extra backups [ 3 Answers ]

I found a website which explains how to make extra registry backups. A tool for retrieving these backups is included. It's a zipped batch file, with instructions which simply say to unzip it to the root directory. That's where I get confused. What part of the root directory does it go to? I...

Add extra light to one switch (UK) [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light switched with a normal one way light switch and want to loop in an extra light from the same switch. Do I just omit a switch wire on the extra lights rose after it's added to the circuit or must I loop it in slightly different?

View more questions Search