Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmoore0007 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Well pump runs intermitten
    I have a submersible pump 115 ft down. It has a Square D pump pressure control box. It is a 1/2 hp 3 wire pump with a control box near the well. The pressure tank has a bladder. My problem is that the pump stops at times. The pressure gage gets hung. The pressure control box contacts engage and send 220 to the pump control box but the contacts never disengage. I have 220 volts at the pump contol box when the pump is not pumping water. Should I replace the pressure switch and pressure gage, or the pump control box at the well.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 25, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rmoore0007
    I have a submersible pump 115 ft down. It has a Square D pump pressure control box. It is a 1/2 hp 3 wire pump with a control box near the well. The pressure tank has a bladder. My problem is that the pump stops at times. The pressure gage gets hung. The pressure control box contacts engage and send 220 to the pump control box but the contacts never disengage. I have 220 volts at the pump contol box when the pump is not pumping water. Should I replace the pressure switch and pressure gage, or the pump control box at the well.

First of all explain the difference between a pressure switch and a pump control box. Is the control box simply a junction box or does it have a function? What does the gage read when it hangs up? If the contacts are sending power to the motor windings when the pump's stopped the problem's in the pump itself. Do you knows the brand name of the pump?
    Let me hear from you. Regards, Tom

Jun 25, 2006, 01:10 PM
    The pressure switch turns the pump on at 30 psi and off at 50 psi. It has two sets of contacts and four terminals. The outside two terminals connect to the power and the two inside
    Terminals connect at the control box at the pump. At the pump the control box has two line terminals that connect to the pressure switch and a red yellow and black terminal that go to the well pump. In the control box thare is a starter capacitor and a relay. This box top contains the relay and capacitor and is connected to the bottom by plugging in when the top is pressed into the bottom. I do not know the brand of pump just that it submersible and 1/2 hp and is 230 volts. The pressure gage was at zero and went to 50 when the gage was tapped. It stays where it was last unless shook. Is there anyway beside pulling the pump to check for a wiring problem at the pump? Thanks
    Rodger
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 25, 2006, 01:43 PM
    For openers I would change out the pressure gage. There's some internal binding going on. I'm familiar with control boxes, I just wanted to be sure we were on the same page. Check the starting capacitor and then move on to the relay. When the pressure switch calls for power you should get a reading of 220VAC from the wires leading down to the pump. If everything checks out up topside and you have power going to the motor windings then you have no choice. The pump must be pulled up and checked.
    Good luck, Tom
    nativeways Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 02:53 PM
    I have the same system as:

Quote Originally Posted by rmoore0007
    I have a submersible pump 115 ft down. It has a Square D pump pressure control box. It is a 1/2 hp 3 wire pump with a control box near the well. The pressure tank has a bladder. My problem is...
    My problem is that I am installing this myself and don't know how to wire the pump relay box. I have the Line 1 and Line 2 wires. But don't understand which is black, and which is white (I.e. is L1 black or L2 black?)
    The 3 wire coming from the well motor is wired to the same colored wires within the relay box, I am assuming.

Nov 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
    L1 and L2 makes no difference which terminal. With 220 volts you are using both colors as line. The bare wire goes to the ground terminal.
    DAVE1963 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 09:00 AM
    I HAD 20 PSI CHANGE PRESSURE SWITCH NOW I HAVE NO WATER AT ALL
    DAVE

[quote=dave1963;2238957]I had 20 psi change pressure switch now I have no water at all
    Dave1963

[QUOTE=DAVE1963;2238961][quote=dave1963;2238957]I had 20 psi change pressure switch now I have no water at all WHAT DO I NEED TO DO THANKS
    Dave1963
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 09:56 AM

First step is to remove the cover on the switch and see if the points are closed. Also, some switches have a reset lever on the side. Try pulling the lever to reset the switch.

I am assuming (dangerous!) you have checked the breaker to make sure it has not been thrown.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump AHU fan runs continuously [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Trane Xe1000 heat pump. Recently I noticed that the fan keeps running continuously even when the outside unit turns off. It's as if the tstat fan switch is set to On (it's not) instead of Auto. I tried a few things: 1) In the tstat (weathertron) I disconnected the fan...

Refrigerator runs on and off [ 1 Answers ]

I have an RCA side by side fridge. It runs for an 1 to 1.5 hours shuts down and starts up after 30 minutes or so with out opening the doors . There is no leaks that that I can find. Just replaced the circulation fan inside.Still runs a lot.

Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold [ 8 Answers ]

The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks

Outside fan runs continuously [ 5 Answers ]

This is a very helpful sight and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a fairly new house (5 years old) and I am having some problems with a Carrier unit. At the end of this summer it started tripping the breaker on very hot days and we called a technician whom found nothing wrong. ...

Outside unit runs on. [ 1 Answers ]

My Carrier outside condenser unit continues to run after the residence thermostat has shut down the system and the furnace blower fan is stopped. I suspect a relay failure on this split system. Can I correct this problem myself or should a professional be called?

View more questions Search