Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Nov 19, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Gutter/sump pump drainage
    My house has a very common gutter/ sump pump drain system that drains gutter runoff directly to the curb via buried pvc from the gutter downspout to the street. Front and rear downspouts connect on each side, so there are 2 separate drain systems ( one for each side of the house.)
    My problem is a big damn tree sits over one section where the front and rear gutters connect undergroud and the roots have found a way into the pipe. Im guessing the "y" fitting came loose and the roots worked their way into the drain line. My plan is to simply re-route the line around the tree and then connect back to the original line near the street.

So, my question is if I add 3 more bends in the pipe - (2) 45 deg. And (1) 90 degree, will it cause an issue with flow and venting through the line?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 19, 2008, 06:23 AM
    my question is if I add 3 more bends in the pipe - (2) 45 deg. And (1) 90 degree, will it cause an issue with flow and venting through the line?
    Not if all that goes through it is water. But why go to all the trouble when you can simply kill the roots. If you wish to control roots RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Hope this helps Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to say thank you in advance. THis is the first time I have ever dealt with a sump pump. My sump pump in the basement has gone out. I have tried draining the water; however the water level remains at the same spot. Am I just being impatient or am I doing something wrong?

Gutter Downspout Drainage to Dry Well [ 7 Answers ]

I'm building some "dry wells" to handle the water coming from the gutter downspouts. The water will be diverted underground to a large underground drainage pit. 1. What is the purpose of a "catch basin"? Is a "catch basin" needed coming off the downspout? 2. I see that you can use pvc...

Sump Pump [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove stagnant water in my sump pump?

Sump pump [ 2 Answers ]

When it rains my sump pump works ,but there is a bab smell??

View more questions Search