Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davisfamily Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2006, 10:49 PM
    Need a new home have BAD credit
    :( Hello I am the mother of 5 wonderful children. We are renting now, it is an old farm house, in the winter our heating bill is around 700 a month (just for the fuel) that's not including the elec. It is drafty and hot in the summer. We are in desperate need of a new home. The problem is we have very bad credit. My husband has had 7 heart attacks and a 7 vessel bypass surgery. The surgeon messed up and he has had 4 attacks since his surgery. He is only 38 yrs old. Since his illness we have many unpaid hosp. bills and more. He makes 1600 on disability. I have a job making 700 clear a week. We make enough to pay a making payment. But nobody will give us a loan. Our children have horses and we need a small farm. If anyone has any advice that can help my situation Please let me know. I am desperate!
    Thank You and GOD Bless You
    Lisa
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Hi, Lisa,
    I live about 10 miles from the KY state line, in SW VA; Beautiful country and mountains.
    Since you are renting, it wouldn't pay you to try insulating the old farm house and installing a good heat pump, using the existing vents to get rid of the fuel oil furnace. That's what we did, using the heat pump for heat, and it's much cheaper than fuel oil!
    Buying a small farm isn't cheap! I hate to say this, but have you considered giving up the horses? You could possibly afford a home, not a farm.
    I really don't know what you can do to buy a farm, I'm sorry. Maybe some others on here will have a much better answer. I am sure you will get more answers.
    God Bless you, too, and keep you and your family safe.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 25, 2006, 08:43 AM
    There have got to be some place that will give you a mortgage. Have you tried going through a mortgage broker. They are usually much better than the banks. They can get you better rates than the bank can offer too and they are used to seeing all kinds of credit. They would have specific banks who would help you out. I know that's how it is in Canada anyway.

I agree with Fred. This might be tough but maybe giving up the horses would be a wise idea. I love animals but if I had to give up my beloved pet to make things better for my family, well, it would have to go. Unfortunately we live in a world where you have to give to get. People should come first. Sorry if that sounds insensitive.

Keep praying, and God bless.
    davisfamily Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 08:48 AM
    Hello the answer to your question about my children's horses. 1 year ago we had a tragedy. Our house burned to the ground. The children lost EVERYTHING they owned. The only thing they had were the clothes they were wearing, and their faithful companions. Each of the children have won numerous awards in 4H with these horses. They have had them since the horses were colts. When our house burned all the children could say are my horses okay. They lost all of the trophies and awards in the fire. So no I can't do that to them they feel that they are their best friends. I would feel awful taking the only thing they had left from them. After the fire they couldn't get enough of them. My youngest said God saved my best friend. As long as my family and horse is okay everything will be fine, this is coming from a 6 yr. old. So no I can't sell them they will probably live with us till the end.
    Thanks for your response.
    God Blees
    Lisa
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 01:12 PM
    Well often life means we can not always do everything we want, and often have to do what we have to do.

No 700 is not very much to try and buy a small "farm" There are places that will charge high interst rates, and try and take advantage of you

At times you may have to find a friend or someone to board your horses for you ( good friend who would do it free is best) and you move into something cheaper in rent and get your money in order.

And sadly if you had to yes you can sell them often getting a new start on life with our money causes us to first loose all we have and then start making some right choices
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jul 2, 2006, 03:04 PM
    You didn't explain *why* you have such bad credit that you can't get a mortgage.

I have to agree that keeping five horses is extremely expensive. Just what you pay in feed bills alone would help you out tremendously in covering mortgage costs. (When my daughter had her horse, the boarding fees averaged $400/month)

Still, with you clearing $2800 a month and your husband's 1600- that's $4400 a month. A veritable fortune to many people.

Is the owner of the farm you are renting willing to consider a "lease to purchase" option and carry the paper himself? If you owned the property, it may be cost effective to do some energy conservation measures. However, when I lived in CT 16 years ago, it cost us $700 to fill the oil tank each winter.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2006, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davisfamily
    Hello the answer to your question about my childrens horses. 1 year ago we had a tragedy. Our house burned to the ground. The children lost EVERYTHING they owned. The only thing they had were the clothes they were wearing, and their faithful companions. Each of the children have won numerous awards in 4H with these horses. They have had them since the horses were colts. When our house burned all the children could say are my horses okay. They lost all of the trophies and awards in the fire. So no I can't do that to them they feel that they are their best friends. I would feel awful taking the only thing they had left from them. After the fire they couldn't get enough of them. My youngest said God saved my best friend. As long as my family and horse is okay everything will be fine, this is coming from a 6 yr. old. So no I can't sell them they will probably live with us till the end.
    Thanks for your response.
    God Blees
    Lisa

Sometimes parents have to do things that "hurt" the children.

If you can't make ends meat... the horses have to go.

Tell your children that when people grow up, they leave home. As they are kids, one day, when the grow up, they will leave. Hence, it is now time for the horses to leave.

Children are resilient. They will bounce back from anything, you just need to trust in that.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jul 3, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Children are resilient. They will bounce back from anything, you just need to trust in that.
    That is one of the most absurd things I have ever read.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2006, 04:32 PM
    If the horses are sold, that is like ripping the hearts out of the children. No they are not as reilient. They would not bounce back from that and I think it would tramatize them.

Joe
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwind_Dagas
    That is one of the most absurd things I have ever read.
    Bill Clinton was the one who orchestrated 9/11

There, now you have heard something absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    If the horses are sold, that is like ripping the hearts out of the children. No they are not as reilient. They would not bounce back from that and I think it would tramatize them.
    It is all in the approach one takes.

For example:

Option 1: Everyone must vote in the next federal election or else they will be fined $1,000
    Option 2: Everyone who votes in the next federal election will get a cheque from the government for $1,000

Same principals, but option 2 sounds more “friendly”

Feeding children, having a house, etc. are far more important things than having horses.

Especially when the horses become a drain to keep up economically.

They can sell or donate the horses.

For example, donate them to some charity or something, so the kids can still visit them from time to time, but relieving the parents of the financial burden at the same time.

Teaching children about good ways to deal with finances will be the best lesson that the parents can ever teach their children.

Never spend more than you have, spend wisely. Watch what you spend on.

If you can not afford something, then do not live outside your means, since in the long run it will bite you in the behind.
    gonzalez101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Go to naca.com. They do not care about your credit score. They do care about your previous 2 years but medical issues are something they routinely make exceptions for. I have a chapter 7 bankruptcy and a foreclosure on my credit report. I have qualified for the laon. Another plus is that they do not charge you for the loan (points or origination fees) and the interest rate is 1 percent under market. Right now it is 6 %. And no down payment. It is an awesome program all around and they have offices in most states.
    cspeeks Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi, Lisa,
    I live about 10 miles from the KY state line, in SW VA; Beautiful country and mountains.
    Since you are renting, it wouldn't pay you to try insulating the old farm house and installing a good heat pump, using the existing vents to get rid of the fuel oil furnace. That's what we did, using the heat pump for heat, and it's much cheaper than fuel oil!!
    Buying a small farm isn't cheap! I hate to say this, but have you considered giving up the horses?? You could possibly afford a home, not a farm.
    I really don't know what you can do to buy a farm, I'm sorry. Maybe some others on here will have a much better answer. I am sure you will get more answers.
    God Bless you, too, and keep you and your family safe.
    OK I think this answer is the best so far, what you need to consiter is boarding the horses. I own 32 horses myself and believe it or not had a period when we HAD to board all of ours for several months due to a hurracaine that came through and flooded our barn and ruined the roof. If you are making good money, as you claim you are then boarding should be no problem. Most places pasture board is about $300 and barn board would be about $400 assuming you had them taking care of the horses for you, i.e. cleaning, grooming, feeding etc. most rural areas its as low as $150 per horse and included their feed. The only things you would be responsible for would be vet and ferrier bills. Word to the wise check out the facility on several occasions 1st for cleanliness etc. also make sure your horses are up to date on all shots and a coggins test. Don't be afraid to ask the owners for vet records from their farm as well to weed out things like strangles etc. talk to their vet etc. I think its absolutely absurd to think about getting rid of the horses if you don't HAVE to. Esp with children involved!! The horses help build sensitivity, responsibility, self confidence and so much more. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT, however allow the horses to destroy your financial sistuation or family sistuation. Worse case senario you could always lease your horses out to other children. Then your kids still get to love them and interact with them and you still own them, again they would just live somewhere else.
    BMDUNLAP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 08:44 AM
    I am a father of two needing to move into the Olathe area of Kansas and I have 1 child and another child on the way needing to buy or rent... my aunt husband has passed away going to need support your immediate reply would be great...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit report [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody now where to get a free credit report and score when you have no credit card to give them Thank you Demon

Credit cards [ 18 Answers ]

My friend used her parents credit card after they had been deceased. When somebody called her house to speak with them a relative told the company they were desceased. Now the company is calling and wants a death certificate sent. What can she do to not get in trouble over this. Ignore the...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Credit check [ 8 Answers ]

How does one go about getting a credit check on prospective tenants?

View more questions Search