Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allinone Posts: 76, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2006, 10:13 PM
    Mandriva .iso file
    How can I untar Mandriva (Linux) .iso file and install Mandriva from hard drive? If impossible to install from hard drive how to do it from cd?

Thanks.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2006, 04:59 AM
    The easiest way to install from an ISO via the hard drive is to create a virtual drive. This tool will do that for you: Daemon Tools. This won't work for a Linux install though as you will need to do things such as partitioning. What you need to do is to burn the ISO image to a CD using a CD writing tool such as Nero Burning ROM.

Jul 3, 2006, 09:14 PM
    How can burn the ISO image CD (I'm learning :-))? I've already burned the CDs but I can not boot from one. I have the Mandrake 9 and want to install on the top Madriva if this is possible.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 5, 2006, 04:25 AM
    Sounds like you took the .iso image and copied it to the CD which won't work. Depending on your CD burning tool (such as Nero) you'll need to burn an existing image to a CD. Once you burn the image then you should be able to boot from the newly created CD.

To answer your other question, you can view what's inside the ISO using a tool such as WinRAR but you can't install for the reasons LTheobald pointed out. However, you can run MandrivaMove (LIVE CD) without having to wipe out your existing partition.

Good Luck

Casey

Jul 6, 2006, 09:23 PM
    I burned the CD. One of them I burned and nothing worked at all. Other I burned bootable. In that case the computer started booting, stopped and I was not able to begin installation.

Thanks.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2006, 12:35 AM
    Were there any error messages? Also where did you get this ISO from? The official Mandriva site? The download might have got corrupted slighltly and that is why you are having these issues.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 7, 2006, 03:52 AM
    I think LTheobald may have hit on it. If you booted off CD and the installation screen appeared and then stopped then you have bad media either due to a bad burn process or bad source ISO. I've seen that happen several times before.

Try downloading the image again from Mandriva or easier yet run an MD5 sum on the .ISO you have and compare that against what Mandriva says it should be. If the MD5 sum matches then you saved yourself a huge download.

Casey
    jc105 Posts: 162, Reputation: 17

Jul 17, 2006, 11:42 AM
    I think you need to be sure your burning the image of the original cd, not just the iso. Also you would not choose to make it bootable if you are burning an iso. Best bet is to get Nero and burn the image with nero. There are some free apps that will do it, but none come to mind.

Google serach iso burn, or search download.com (virii free)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RSC file [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I bought many educational software title. These titles contain a type of files which have file extension .rsc. What kind of files they are? And how to open them? Thanks.

Mandriva (Linux) CDs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Where can I download Mandriva CDs? I've tried several sites and all the CDs I burned were with errors or did not boot. Thank you

How to file on OPT + H1B [ 7 Answers ]

I was on OPT from Jan 2005 to May 2005 and on H1B from June 2005 onwards. My husband is on H1B and we have a 12 year old son who is my dependent in papers. What is the best way for us to file our taxes and what are the deductions we can claim. I am an Indian citizen. Do we file a join return or...

Do I need to file? [ 2 Answers ]

I received no income this year.. only child support. Do I still need to file?(I have 2 kids, but it was specified that after the divorce, my ex would claim our son, and I our daughter) Thanks !

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search