Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thejipster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Washing machine drain Ptrap
    My washing machine water exhaust tube is connected to a verticle drain pipe for water outflow. At the bottom of this pipe, there appears to be a P-trap section. Attached to the P-trap is a tube that runs all the way up the roof and also down to the ground. It believe that the tube that goes to the roof is used as a clean-out access to run a snake in case the drain is clogged. I noticed that there is a severe crack where the clean-out tube meets the junction of the p-trap junction section. The washing machine is in the garage.

I noticed that there is a severe crack where the clean-out tube meets the "T-junction". How difficult is this ptrap junction to replace. Is this something that I should call in the experts or DIY can handle it?

Clean out tube access from roof
    |
    | <--- cracked
    |__ ptrap________ | washing machine verticle drain
    |
    Down drain to sewege system
    </pre>

Thanks
    - J
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 25, 2006, 04:26 AM
    Hey Jipster, The Speedster here.

While the pipe from the roof can be used as a cleanout it's main function is a vent.
    Since you've failed to tell me exactly where the crack is or the material the pipes are made of I can only make some guesses.
    If the crack is in the tee itself the vent will have to be cut and a new sanitary tee installed. If it's in the nipple from the tee to the trap then a coupling may by used and a new trap and standpipe installed. Until I know the exact locatation of the crack and the material the pipes consist of I can't advise you any farther. Let me know, Tom

Jun 26, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Jipster, The Speedster here.

While the pipe from the roof can be used as a cleanout it's main function is a vent.
    Since you've failed to tell me exactly where the crack is or the material the pipes are made of I can only make some guesses.
    If the crack is in the tee itself the vent will have to be cut and a new sanitary tee installed. If it's in the nipple from the tee to the trap then a coupling may by used and a new trap and standpipe installed. Until I know the exact locatation of the crack and the material the pipes consist of I can't advise you any farther. Let me know, Tom
    Hi Speedball1,

Thanks for the reply.
    It turned out that the vent pipe connected to the T-junction rusted pretty badly because it is made of galvanized steel and corroded over the years. The thread from the vent pipe adhered to the cast iron t-junction so it was impossible to put in a new threaded pipe without having some sort of equipment/tool to tap new threads.

Replacing the cast iron t-junction would have been a pretty significant job which would require removing the outer wall in order to turn the T-junction to unscrew it from the down pipe. This is definitely isn't something that I would/could do, so I came up w/ a work around.

The outer diameter of the cast iron T-junction hole where the 1.5" exhaust pipe fits is 2 5/8". I picked up a rubber 2" to 1.5" coupler at Lowe's for about $5 and convinced it to fix over the 2 5/8" hole. I then secured the coupler by tightening the strap. No water leaked, so I am back in business. The good thing about this solution is that if I ever need to clean out a blockage, I can easily remove the coupler and have direct access to the downpipe with a snake.

The bottom line is if it doesn't fit, force it!

Thanks
    - J
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Hey Jip! Glad you're back in business. I would have removed the galvanized nipple and worked a small sharp chisel under the broken threads and levered them out. Then I would have installed the trap and raiser back with a new nipple. But hey! If it works for you, it works for me. Good luck, Tom

Jun 26, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Jip! Glad you're back in business. I would have removed the galvanized nipple and worked a small sharp chisel under the broken threads and levered them out. then I would have installed the trap and raiser back with a new nipple. But hey!! If it works for you, it works for me. Good luck, Tom
    I did try to chisel approach and wasn't very succesfull. I wasn't able to reach to about 50% of the thread because of the wall. I would have to had remove the outer wall to remove the p-trap. I am just glad it worked out for me. Thanks for the advice. I think your approach is the professional way of doing things right. :)

Thanks
    - J

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine drain overflow [ 11 Answers ]

We recently built an addition onto our house which includes a laundry room. The plumber installed a washer box with valves and 1.5" drain about 3' from floor. The maytag washer has overflowed right from day one. I have seen some of your replies to other people with this problem and they include...

Washing machine drain overflow [ 17 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the drain pipe overflows even after I successfully flushed the drain line with a bladder and power hose. I also flushed the vent system, but there is still overflow. What now coach?:confused:

Washing machine drain keeps overflowing [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, at my house, we have had a continuous problem over the years being that the washing machine drain will back-up and overflow from time to time. It occurs about every 6 months or so, and to fix the problem, I pour Assault down the drain, and that takes care of the problem. The washing machine...

Replace toilet drain with washing machine drain [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I would go about taking a toilet drain and turning it into a drain for a washing machine.

Washing machine drain line [ 2 Answers ]

Bought a new place, rather small which has no current space for laundry. We are planning on adding addition which will be usable in 12 months but in meantime want on site laundry. There is utility building 30 feet from house which I have already wired and want to put washer/dryer in that. Existing...

View more questions Search