Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PET41 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Deck with 2"X6" treated lumber,
    I am in the process of refacing my deck with the same type of 2"X6" treated lumber that was original. I am using 3" Phillips deck screws from Lowe's. The lumber has knots and I am thinking of using Minwax or Ace wood filler to cover screw holes inperfections and knot holes prior to staining and waterproofing. Both fillers mentioned are good for outdoor use. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
    Pet41
    mikedem7 Posts: 104, Reputation: 13

Nov 18, 2008, 07:21 PM

I would use 2 1/2 inh sqare drive screws and drive the screw a bit under the surface of the 2x6 and not worry about a filler that will pop out anyway when the wood dryes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 07:23 PM

I would not bother with trying to put wood filler in screw holes, it will not last long. Be sure your screws are rated for exterior use on this type of wood. Some treaeted wood reacts with certain screws so getb thr right stuff. Home Depot and Lowe's also offer a type of deck board attachment that works from the side with no screws or nails showing. A bit more expensive but what a great appreanace. It is a plate with teeth that you drive into the slide of the deck board righ on top of the joist, then you screw through the plate into the joist.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 20, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Spend the money and get something without knots, over 20 years it will save you a lot of money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I "Sister" new wood onto my deck joists? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a deck that is cantelivered off the side of my house the Deck is 4'8" X 21'6". I ere should I place the bolts?noticed that approximately 5 of the 22 joists are rotted at the end and the rot is from about 2 - 8 '' in length. Would it be all right to "sister" on new 2 by 8's . How many bolts...

Treated lumber [ 2 Answers ]

How soon can I paint stained lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?

Treated lumber [ 3 Answers ]

How soon can I paint treated lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?

View more questions Search